1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pick up Selector mod.?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jared92, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    Hey i am interested in putting a pick up selector (3 way i guess) into an active bass i have (J/H)

Any schematics for such things? I spent about 10 minutes searching the forums and found nothing. Any help would be sweet! :hyper:

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Hot on each side and neutrals in the middle :)

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I do this in all my basses - a pretty easy task.

Put your hots on the outside, run the middle tabs to whatever is next in line, and ground the switch.

4. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    I wanted
    <neck
    <both>
    >bridge

Should i solder on top of the pots, where the pick ups are solderd on to??

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    No offense, but if you have to ask that kind of question, perhaps you should take it to somebody to do it for you.

What is the exact wiring setup you are going for? Volume, tone, bass, treble, switch? Details, man!

6. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    I can solder fine. Ive been doing electronic work for about 3 years. I dont need anybody to do it for me. As i was typing that i felt like it was a stupid question.

All i wanted was straight like when its all the way to on either side, the opposite is muted. I put a flip killswitch in the same bass a while back an it works great.

but i just want to be able to mute the pick ups separtly. if im making sence

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If you've been doing electronic work for three years, then you should know how to wire a switch. What's your question, exactly?

8. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    Where should the center be wired up to. In order for both pick ups to come through.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    To whatever you have next in line, be it a volume pot, preamp, output jack, etc.

10. This is correct. The trick is to find a SPDT switch that is on-on-on. Schematic here:

http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm