1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Picked up a MIM cabronita P...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheHardOne, May 11, 2018.

1. 20180330_192618.

So I picked this bass up (on the right) kind of on a whim... Had a P void in my collection that needed filled and this one struck my eye. The jazz next to it is my first bass (MIM circa 2002ish). Played it through the previous owner's Ampeg rig and struck a deal. Sounded good, played good, and semi-unique appearance. As is par for the course, it sounded better through the other guys rig but I still enjoy noodling with it. Since I am not versed in P, how far different in tone is this from a "normal" P tone?

I've got some unknown flats on it, but still missing that thump I was hoping to find. EQing the amp gets closer but also been meaning to order up a set of La Bella flats to see if that helped.

Anywho, just wanted to show it off a little... Back to lurking I go.

2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    can't answer your question but I'm betting the goodness is in there waiting to come out with some degree of tweakerations, anything that great looking has to have oodles of tone to the bone even with cheapo rounds, at least you know that it can sound like gold and with flats it'll be even better. two gorgeous burst sweethearts... those deserve a pro shoot to blow up, frame, and hang over the fireplace at the Winter cabin.

TheHardOne likes this.
  3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Congrats!

The Cabronita's stock Fideli'Tron humbucker is quite a different animal than either the original single-coil or split-coil designs for the which the P is better known. I think your idea of trying a set of flats is a logical first step in your search for more "thump." Down the road, you might want to experiment with swapping pickups. I know that at least one TBer swapped the Fideli'Tron with a TV Jones alternative and was pleased with the result.

Dark Horse and TheHardOne like this.
  4. Subscribed.

5. CiaranQ

CiaranQ

Jan 23, 2018
    Sure it’s a cabronita? The high mass bridge would struggle to fit under a 51 ashtray. And, it didn’t come wth a 51 pickguard, nor a 51 control plate. Not even sure the body mounted controls would line up with a control plate.

Still, looks good!

TrevorOfDoom and Aqualung60 like this.
  6. Thanks! Yeah, pretty sure it is. Guy I bought it from said he bought it new and modded it to look more like a '51 P. Said something about that pickguard being a one-off kinda deal. Sure caught my eye.

Korladis likes this.
  7. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    As one who modded a Cabronita, and is a big fan of all things slab, these alterations kinda take the sleaziness out of the original “alternative” slab that the Cabronita was meant to achieve. Having said that, if you like it that's all that matters.

Although I found the original pu a worthy candidate, I installed a hotter TV Jones ThunderBlade bridge pu. Sporting TI flats, this is una chica con glope!

0C429E85-53DD-4F4D-91AC-E1D7A406A771.

8. A beautiful bass, shot at a nice dramatic angle.

2saddleslab, Pilgrim and Old Blastard like this.
  9. Beautiful instrument, well executed... Love the pinstriping!

2saddleslab likes this.
  10. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017

Wow. Well done.

2saddleslab likes this.
  11. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Have TV Jones Thunderblades in custom Andrew Drake bass and I cannot say enough good about them. They are awesome

Dark Horse likes this.
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

OP, that's a good lookin' bass indeed.

For thump, IMO a good idea is a set of flats that are at least a year old, plus rolling off the treble, played finger style.

My faves are Labella Deep Talkin' flats, light gauge. But they do take some time to settle in.

Dark Horse and TheHardOne like this.
  13. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    If you want that thing to thump, experiment with some foam at the bridge. Great lookin' bass BTW.

Dark Horse, Pilgrim and TheHardOne like this.
  14. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Cool and congrats OP, I too like the look of it.

TheHardOne likes this.
  15. Pilgrim

How could I have forgotten?? That's the thump ingredient in my 1963 P - the foam under the bridge cover, between strings and bridge. Bridge covers are the perfect way to mount foam. I started a thread about the foam used....

Original muting foam on 1963 Precision - revealed!

16. Thanks for this! Looks like a trip to the hardware store is in order once I get back home...

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  17. Pilgrim

There's a link in that thread to foam which is a close match to the original. I think it will have to be in contract with the strings for a couple of weeks to pack down and not muffle them too much, but you can work with that. If you have to buy a roll of the stuff you will have plenty to experiment with.

18. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Eastwood Guitars, CHC Guitars, GHS strings
    Dang, that’s a beauty !

2saddleslab likes this.
  19. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Never seen a pickguard like that on a Cabronita.

20. If you mean the one from post #1, then I agree. It's a standard pickguard for a pre-1957 P-bass, I think.
    The one from post #7 is the normal pickguard for a Cabronita.