1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickguard - best vintage Jazz replacement?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wehner, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Wehner

Wehner

Mar 13, 2007
    Denmark
    As a hobby, I buy up old Fender bodies and necks and have them restored. Up until now, I have bought original Fender pickguards for them, but I was wondering, if there is a better looking alternative. Especially the tortoise ones I have seen do not come close to the original one on my 1969 Jazz, and I also feel that the mint green one I have on my newest project could be better.

The the pickguards need to be the 11 + 4 hole types. Anyone hos found something better than Fender's own?

My 1968 Sea Foam Green refinish with Fender mint green guard:

[​IMG]

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i agree that the color of the fender RI tortoise ones do not look at all like the '68-'72 tort guards.

for this reason, whenever i use one, i dye mine with a deep red dye that etches into the celluloid and then buff it out. they come out alot more red-ish (rather than brown), and look more like the originals.

here's a pic of one that i dyed:

69Jbass-bodyfront.jpg

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'd stay away from the tort if you're going for the authentic vintage look. It's too easy to look fake.

Mint, white, etc can look great as a repro pickguard if you have them aged/relic'd.

4. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    That dyed pickguard looks nice.

I don't like the tort on my SB jazz 6:

[​IMG]

I prefer the old tort pickguards.
    For example, here is my '72 J pickguard:

[​IMG]

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
  6. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
  7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    oh, you're right. I thought it was original and got all excited to post :hyper:

would look cool though - if it was cheaper. I like the tarnish

8. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, it looks like they did a nice job on it. the tell-tale sign is that the originals had a thinner black lamination around the perimeter.

9. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Warmoth.com has a nice selection of PG's, and they seem to fit pretty well.

10. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    Yes.. the JV or SQ series. The pickguards on those are the closest match I've seen. It has some sort of pixellation to it, but that's as close as I've seen.

11. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    Sorry to drag this up from the dead but I am looking for the same thing! I want a tort guard for my 78 jazz. I would like to have all the holes line up and the extras for the covers and thumb rest. Does anyone make one that looks decent or are they best left custom ordered?

12. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    Here's one choice, scroll down past the Strat & Tele parts for the bass pickguards to find it: http://gmvintagerestorations.com/f_parts/f_parts.html

[​IMG]

Pricey though at 130$. Made by Montreux Guitars in Japan, their Retrovibe parts are lightly aged & reliced. I have a Montreux tort guard installed on my '75 P-Bass: the pickup cover holes didn't match body holes, all other holes lined up perfectly and it was an easy install, no tweaking needed. It looks pretty good with more red colour than the current Fender tort, but it's not a 100% authentic replica of an early-mid 1970's Fender tort (I don't know if anything currently available is!), the swirl patterns are slightly different. Here's some pics of my tort guard:

fender%2520020.jpg

fender%2520094.png

fender%2520001.png

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021