1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickguard size on MIM Fender jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowKee, Apr 3, 2009.

1. LowKee

LowKee

Jan 18, 2009
    Bourbonnais, IL
    I just bought an Eden pickguard online for my MIM Jazz. It doesn't quite fit the bass. The description said it would fit an American standard jazz bass so here is my question. Are the pickguard sizes on an American Fender the same as a Mexican Fender? I need to know if I should ask for a refund or not.

2. LowKee

LowKee

Jan 18, 2009
    Bourbonnais, IL
    Anyone?

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I dont think they're the same size - how off is it? Do you have a dremel? maybe you could alter the fit?

4. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I've seen a few online sites that sell pickgards and they will say something like "this gard made need to be altered slightly to fit your specific bass" which means more/less holes, holes placement, pup cutout area, etc. If they don't say, I email them and ask them if it will fit my, in that case, also MIM jazz. They usually reply with a flat no or they just can't say. So if you order like that just be sure you can return for refund.

If you check on Jeannie's Pickguards online, Roger, says that if you send him your old pickgard or I think just a cardboard copy of it, he can build you a pickgard to match, I think that's correct. He has many styles of pickgards in stock that already fit many basses. Now in my case as of yesterday, its a Skyline Joe Osborn 5 I'm looking to order a pickgard for. He has those in stock, just trying to decide what color I want.

To OP call Roger and see what he has to say, maybe he can alter yours or offer some advice. I've talked with him before, he's very helpful.

5. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

One of my Jazz basses has pickups that are identical and the other uses one that is a little smaller at the neck than the one at the bridge.
    I am pretty sure that when a seller talks about fitting, this is the area that they usually mean. There may be slight fitting around the heel of the neck as well.
    You may have to open up the neck pickup area on the guard or take this opportunity to upgrade your pickups.