Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickguard won't fit - diff year = diff size pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kristopher, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    I have a 2001 MIM Fender Jazz and I bought a new Fender replacement pickguard with the appropriate number of screw holes but it won't fit over my pickups, as if they're too big to go in the hole meant for them. It looks like it would fit fine if I didn't have any pickups.

I bought the bass used in Guitar Center, so it's possible that the pickups are replacements, but there was no mention of that.

Short of sawing myself a larger hole, maybe there's something else available (and more appropriate) for me to buy and I don't know it?

Thanks!

2. Philbo

Philbo

Jan 11, 2005
    NY
    This same thing happened to me when i was fixing up my old memphis p bass. I suggest using a pencil wrapped with medium grade sand paper. It's easier to control than a saw and it is less likely to make a mistake. the only thing is that it takes a while to get results, although it works. you could also use warmoth.com to make you a custon one if you send them the plan. I can't find it on the site now but i know they do this. Good luck

phil

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    That sounds like a good idea. Do you just sand along the cutout sideways or do you move it up and down while moving sideways? The pickguard on my Read is pretty tight. It's a pain to lower and raise the pickups.

4. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    I was also thinking of just painting my currently white pickguard, although I'm not sure what paint I should use.

<pulls out the magic marker>

5. Philbo

Philbo

Jan 11, 2005
    NY
    my suggestion is that you don't paint it, and pick another cheap one up. The slickness and shine of a pick guard is part of what gives a bass appeal. This way you have an extra one if you're ever working on another project. I also had to remount my pickups and bridge, because i had to cover the existing holes put in my bass from the original pick guard. I suggest doing the same if the pick guard routings are a bit off from where the pickups are set now. If you cut too much of the pick guard it ends up looking slopy and ugly.

good luck