1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Picking out a good bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Danny"God"Rubio, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Danny"God"Rubio

Danny"God"Rubio

Jul 23, 2010
    Ok well im getting a 300$ reimbursement from Gc pro coverage sicne my fender fretless jazz bass has a warped neck. Now with this 300$ im looking for a fretted bass but im not sure which to get form GC. I am going to be playing Indie, Punk, Ska and such but im not sure which bass would be right for this kind of music hitting the 299.99$ mark.

I was thinking of getting the Schecter Guitar Research Raiden Deluxe 4 Electric Bass Guitar but im not sure since i need help :/

2. Danny"God"Rubio

Danny"God"Rubio

Jul 23, 2010
    any help would be appreciated :)

3. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    the ibanez soundgear has IMHO the best neck in that price range. Also you can dial in almost any tone.

4. Danny"God"Rubio

Danny"God"Rubio

Jul 23, 2010
    but the only thing is i dislike Ibanez :/ just they never did me good

5. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    I love my Schecter Stiletto. It's more than $300 but it's my choice for best bang for the buck.

6. Isn't a Squire Vintage Modified Jazz or P around $300? Those are some pretty serious bang for the buck.

7. GC has the Squier Standard P Bass Special for $ 279.99

8. Danny"God"Rubio

Danny"God"Rubio

Jul 23, 2010
    but like would any of these be good for my style of music to play? :O

9. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    + 1 on that

If you have a $300 credit, I'd suggest putting it toward something REALLY nice for some more money. If you were thinking Schecter, get yourself one of the new Warwick Rockbasses. Mine was $750 (corvette standard with active 2-band eq) and its an amazing piece of work, the one with passive tone control is less than $700 IIRC.

If you didn't to go with modern tone though, I'd check out the Squier Classic Vibe 60's P. It's a real Fender pickup inside (signature tone is there) and the look is of the vintage flavor...good for you if you want to go for that indie look as well as tone.

10. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    This. And the VM P in honey/amber w/ a black pickguard and maple neck would also be great for said styles; also $280.

11. Danny"God"Rubio

Danny"God"Rubio

Jul 23, 2010
    Well Vanilla my family adn I really cant afford much so 300 is all we really can afford adn the schecter i was seeing costs 299 so it seemed good but i see no reviews or videos of it so im not sure since it isnt in the store by my city :/

and Martin & Just Bill sounds great but im not sure since i have a vintage modified fretless squier but would this bass sound good for my style?

12. I wouldnt go near a low end Ibanez, I had one with a crappy J pickup and the other warped neck.
    The newer Warwick Rockbasses are good. If you can locate a German Warwick used, you can get one under 1k.

Save the money, get something good.

13. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    Majority of indie, punk, ska bands use either a P or a P/J special config... Throw in one with a Duncan Designed pickup and you're good to go.

14. I think you would be hard pressed to go wrong with the P Bass Special. You can get a lot out of that P/J pup config.

Do you live anywhere near a store where you could try one out before buying from GC?

15. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    If you can manage an extra $50, get Squier Classic Vibe Precision.

They sound great, and would give you exactly the sound you're looking for.

16. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    See what they have in used instruments. Used are the best value since someone else has already taken a hit on the depreciation. If you don't like it in the long run or want to trade up, you will get most of your money back.

17. Danny"God"Rubio

Danny"God"Rubio

Jul 23, 2010
    Just Bill i do not think so but at GC im sure i can try one out i only hope i can find a good p bass or p/j bass then sicne the bass part of the store is severly small.

also imfreeman9 i doubt ill get used i dont trust the used in my store :/

18. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    I personally own an SR305 as a backup bass. The neck is perfectly fine and the sound is stellar for the money. Ive also owned an SR706, SR300, SR400FL, ATK100, ATK300, ATK500,S540FM, Jem7V . NONE had any neck issues after many shows.
    The thing with ibanez is that setup matters. When I bought my most recent ibanez I was at GC... they had about 6 of them on the floor.... 3 of them were horrible, 1 was so-so, 2 were great.
    The active electronics can cover a ton of tones.

If ibanez isnt your thing..... looking at your style of music id say P bass all the way. Perhaps a Squire VM.

19. Danny"God"Rubio

Danny"God"Rubio

Jul 23, 2010
    hmmmmm so a p bass does sound nice this way i can switch form time to time whether i use my fender squire modified fretless vintage jazz bass i only hope th eone i get doesnt look exactly the same i kinda want style with the sound and tone :D

20. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Schecter > Squire