1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Picking with the thumb

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by violinoscar, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I didn't mean to infer he could. But surely you rock ;)!

2. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    I have played my entire life as a thumb user. with and without a thumb pick. I love adding depth to my sound. Fingers don't give me the depth I am looking for. Fingers give you speed but I don't like how "washed out" the tone becomes. So even, but no real depth. It's just my preference. IMO, if I am playing bass then I want to feel the bottom. I want to shake the house. I will play as low as I can just to get that fat bottom. There are drawbacks. Speed, muted highs, but I can't say that I have ever regretted playing this way.

3. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I can use my thumb, and sometimes do on quiet passages, but I never feel comfortable playing like that. I guess there aren't enough quiet sections in the songs I play to give me the practice and confidence. I feel I have more control with fingers.

4. robo_bass

robo_bass

Feb 8, 2020
    Eastern US
    I use the side of the pick and grip it low so it feels like my thumb. It just gives more control. If I could find a thumb pick with that type of long edge I'd crap myself. And you could double thumb notes and play it like a pick you can get incredible speed.

5. WrapRough

WrapRough

Jan 26, 2021
    London
    For reggae, yeah. It sounds irie :)

Good enough for Robbie, good enough for me:

Spin Doctor likes this.
  6. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    When I first picked up the bass this was what felt most natural. I like the tone it gives me and also makes muting easier for me. Having said that, I stopped because I thought it was “wrong”. Gonna start playing that way sometimes again to see if it works for certain styles.

7. Albatrosslol

Albatrosslol

Apr 15, 2021
    So glad this thread came up. I was reading thru technique because I’m a newer bass player but always found it more comfortable to get good sounds with the thumb. PIMR even on classical was awkward. Probably will still practice scars alternating fingers for practice though.

8. Albatrosslol

Albatrosslol

Apr 15, 2021
    Yes yes this! I felt the same way!

Billyzoom likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021