Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup and preamp for Modulus Flea 4???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BASSBOOST, Sep 27, 2005.

1. I was wondering what were some good combos. The stock bassline and bartolini are good but I think it could sound better. So all you modulus guys, whats inside your flea 4?? Thanks in advance,Nik.
    BTW I play all kinds of music.

2. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    :D
    Lane Poor and an Aguilar OBP-3. Sorry :D Love the LP. I Tried a Nordstrand MM4.2 and that sounded quite good also, much closer to the Stingray sound than the LP. Switched back to the LP though, very aggressive and unique sounding.

3. I just realized, How do I tell what pickup I have?? Do both the bart and bassline have no name on the top housing?? I think it's a bassline but not sure.So how do I know?? Thanks, Nik.

4. Chrisrm

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    The Basslines is unmarked. I believe the Bart is marked "Bartolini" on the top of the pickup. How does it sound? Stingrayish or mellower with subdued highs and more bottom?

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The bart should be marked bartolini, the SD is unmarked. If it's a Lane Poor, there's a small LP (or modulus symbol) in one corner.

6. Chrisrm

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    It's a Modulus symbol on the corner on the Lane Poor.

7. It's a bassline pickup in my flea. So anyone else have any other pickup ideas??

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, could you be more specific about what you want than "I think it could sound better"?
    More lows? More highs? Less highs? etc

9. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I have two-Modulus flea basses on has the SD with Aguilar great aggressive sound the other is a Flea j bass with J type Barts and Aguilar Pre sound is big and mellow to aggressive.

10. I was thinkin the highs are okay, so better lows and a more aggressive tone.

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the basslines IS the most agressive of the three IMO.

Are you using nickel or steel strings? Could be as simple as that.

If not, then maybe look into your mid frequencies - either boosting somewhere in the 250-500hz range on your amp or getting a 3 band preamp like the aguilar obp-3 or bartolini 3 band.

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Chris, wassup? I thought you were the one that straigthened me out on these things. Here's a cut from my review on the Bart:

Interesting pup and not quite your typical MM Bart in tone or appearance. Smooth face with an apparent line (not textured) running the length between coils and no logo. The back is epoxied - no copper backing plate.

I got from someone the SD doesn't have the line (which is same color as the pup but readily apparent).

No doubt this could be different for different periods.
    ------------------
    Chris, by the way, landed a 4 lead LP MM - reasonable (for an LP) no less.

13. Chrisrm

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    It's been a while since I've played a Flea with a Bart in it so I didn't want to conclusively state that it was marked, lest I make myself look to be the fool I already know I am!

Love to hear what you think of the 4 lead LP. Is it an HB or a different LP MM model? Be interesting to see how the different wiring options sound. Series might thicken things up quite a bit.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Aggressive sound comes from the player. I go round and round with people about this, but when people say they want to replace the pickups to get a different sound, I tell them to play differently and THEN decide if the pickup is working. It's because I find very little difference between pickups. Yeah, there's a little, but technique makes much more of a difference. Especially when you have a pickup on there that's thought of as pretty aggressive already.

15. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Chris, LOL. It's in the bass and I actually I don't recall the model. It's a 5 string dual coil MM replacement. Unfortunately I play 4's and even with my atypical routings, it barely fits. Those LP conduit-like jackets don't help cause no flexibility. Currently it's mounted about an inch from the bridge cuase that's where the lead tunnel runs into the bay. Pretty bright to say the least and sounds like a J pup - and it's wired series.

I'll get something figured out and do a review on it in time.

16. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I personally have lane poor pups, and i have a bart pre. It should be here around thurs. i'll let you know how it sounds.