1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pickup configuration ideas....experiment

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lerxst_2112, Apr 16, 2009.

1. lerxst_2112

lerxst_2112

Oct 23, 2004
    hi.. i have a yamaha attitude the cheaper one, i put on it a dimarzio billy sheehan will power pickup and i plan to add another pickup, im thinking in a rickenbacker in the neck with separate ouput and maybe a mm or a p-bass but in opposite position in bridge, the same output of the will power. what do dou think about that?,

if you have another pickup combo-configuration idea please let me know

2. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    P in the bridge is awesome. If you love precision tone and punch but wish that you could dial in some more attack and bite, do this. I have a P/J, J/J, and P/P. The P/J is very versatile. The J/J does the growly pissed off J bass thing and the smooth treble roll off J bass thing. The P/P is by far the most powerful, has the most punch, and sits in a rock mix like no other. With my setup, its just as versatile as the Jazz but doesn't sound anything like it.

The P/P is passive and has volume, volume, master tone, varitone, and varitone blend. I highly recommend doing this as you can instantly get a smoother vintage tone or an aggressive sound. I strung it with chrome flats and am wondering what on earth I was thinking before. I dial the neck full on for normal p tone, and then dial the bridge in about 75-80% and have the most unbelievably powerful sound right now. If I favor the bridge I can get a completely unique woody sound.

My band plays with a truly excellent group about twice a month. Their bassist is extremely proficient and plays an American Deluxe Jazz, also strung with chromes. He tried my P/P through his rig last week and was blown away enough to go out and buy out a P to do the same mod to this weekend.

I couldn't be happier with this bass.