1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pickup for jazz/doubling setup

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by nostatic, Mar 8, 2013.

1. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Am moving back to doubling after a long stint of electric only. I'm not looking to change up my amp rig much as I've got a setup that works really well for BG and I think will be fine for upright. Mainly trying to figure out the best pickup for my application. Here's what I've got to work with:

Bass: Shen SB190 carved top/sides, laminate flatback
    Amps: Monique tube preamp/Demeter Minnie power amp in Baer ML112 cab. Puma 900 backup amp, also just got a Big E 4x6 cab.

Variety of pedals but likely won't use those for upright. I do have an fDeck Series 3 available.

Music is jazz, though I could see maybe using upright drifting into some of the more soul/funk side of things. Mostly pizz though I'm digging arco (but have a *lot* of 'shedding to do before it is public). Arco is probably loud enough without much amplification for my gigs so mostly worried about getting pizz amplified well.

I put a KK Bass Max on and am somewhat underwhelmed though I haven't done a lot of eq tweaking. Ideally I want the bass to sound like itself. I'm not a big fan of boomy lows or super thick low-mids. I like defined mids (the Baer is a mid-present cab, no tweeter, instead it has a 12" and 6").

Seems like my candidates would be:

KK Double Big Twin
    Gage Realist
    Fishman Full Circle
    Rev Solo

Any pushes/nudges one way or another given the gear and the goals?

2. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    The pickup that's worked best for me on several instruments is the Full Circle. The realist has great reviews from many but I found it too boomy compared to the FC.
    Good luck with your search.

3. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    I seem to be one of a select few who likes the Realist Soundclip. For near-as-dammit-to-a-mic tone the Ehrlund gets much props. There has recently been a large price increase, although the Gollihur boys have intimated that they can be flexible on that score.

Far be it from me, but I would be looking more towards my Puma/Big E rig for DB than the Jules Monique/Baer. I believe the former is Mike Arnopol's current setup.

In any case, that's some very nice shizz you got there, man.

4. VegasGutPlucker

VegasGutPlucker Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Chicago
    EAP, especially for arco.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    For me on my bass with my hands and for what I'm trying to do musically, the Full Circle ended my pickup search. All of the "Nachbar Chronicles" cuts on my website's soundclips page are live recordings where it was being used. It's not perfect, but it's good enough to let me focus on making music instead of futzing with gear.

6. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    B-Band is good too, don't forget them. Plus, Underwood is the undeniable classic. I've got a Full Circle, but it doesn't cut as much as my Underwood did. It is warmer in comparison.