pickup for mex fender jazz bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sanksekreta, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Sanksekreta

Jan 13, 2005
    Denver CO

I`m a new bass player & need some advice.
    I want to replace my original fender Mexican jazz bass with noiseless fender jazz pickups. But Noiseless pickups is bigger than the original. So what should I do..........????

Thanks .............
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Bigger in what way? Longer? Wider? Taller? And how much bigger are they...and are you really, really sure that you want those pickups?
  3. Sanksekreta

Jan 13, 2005
    Denver CO
    they are longer......Why........????
    something wrong with this pickups.......???
    U know any pickups better sound from this noiseless pickups...???

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I'm trying to understand how it can be that one type of Fender pickup doesn't fit a Fender bass. Depending on how old your MIM J Bass is the pickups might be the same length (and I believe that they were bridge length). Newer Mexi Jazz basses have unequal length pups like an Am Jazz bass.

The "really, really" part was trying to learn whether you wanted to modify your bass to fit the new pups.

What don't you like about the pickups you have now?
  5. Sanksekreta

Jan 13, 2005
    Denver CO
    They are humming & it`s kindda problem when U do recording . I think my bass is from 2003-2004 & i still dont get it, Why pups didnt fit ( even with the pickguard they didnt fit too).

Thanks alot for your advice , really make me learn more about bass.
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Your bass is older than that, Your serial # will tell you what year it is. MZ****** the1st number after MZ will be the year. I believe after 2001 they made the pups different sizes in the MIM basses. The only way you can get around this if you have one of the "same size pup" bass is to use a dremel tool to widen both sides ot the pup cavity so the new pup will fit. Before you do that why don't you try to shield the pup compartment with shielding tape and see if the buzz goes away.
  7. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I put bart 9k1's on my 02 jazz bass.

They fit fine, theyre actually a little smaller than the stock pickups, but i dont even care.

they sound so nice.
  8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    If you like the way your pickups sound, and it's just the buzzing you don't like, I would suggest getting a full shield job on your bass. The guy here on the Cape who fixes my basses says he's done lots of those, and has never had problems with them since.

Hope that helps :hyper:
  9. I too, am planning to replace the stock pick-ups in my MexiJazz (5 string) and would like to know some opinions on what kind of pick-ups to install (manufacturer, model, why you'd suggest them, etc.).
    I've been following this thread and now I'm curious about the full shield job - is this something that a reasonably skilled person could do on his own?