1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Pickup height for tape wound strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kamil wysocki, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Kamil wysocki

Kamil wysocki

Mar 30, 2018
    I just put some fender 58 tapewounds on my jazz bass. The output of the bass has seriously been diminished. I’m wondering if anyone out there has got suggestions on pickup height for tapewound strings before I start experimenting.

On a side note the strings seem to have a bit of trouble staying in tune. They’ve been on the bass for a day with little playing. Is there a similar breaking in period typical with nylon strings when it comes to tape wounds?

2. gelinas666

gelinas666 Guest

Sep 8, 2009
    I've used D'addario Black Nylon Tapewounds on some of my basses.. Never noticed alot of volume loss and tuning was about the same.. Try setting the bend in the string by pushing on top of the bridge and the nut.. I use the Fender Guide for pickup Height and it works for me.:thumbsup:

With Fretting the last fret,

Standard "J" or "P" 7/64" (2.8 mm) 5/64" (2 mm)

Kamil wysocki likes this.
  3. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    If I might offer what may seem obvious: stretch your strings when you install them. Each one individually, stretch it along the entire length of the string, this goes for tape wounds or any other type. As far as pickup height consult your maker's specs, but a typical fender answer is 1/8 inch

4. Kamil wysocki

Kamil wysocki

Mar 30, 2018
    Spent a couple hours breaking them in and they’re fine now. I was worried they might have the same week of adjustment that my nylon string guitar has when stings are changed.

5. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    try this

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021