1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup height on a pbass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by attackbass, Apr 9, 2009.

1. attackbass

attackbass

Jul 16, 2007
    Endorsing Artist:Orange Amps, EBS FX, Ernie Ball, Fender Bass Guitars
    can someone point me in the direction about how to set up the pickup height on a p bass??

I keep reading things but they say different things... some mention pressing down the string at the last fret, others don't etc?!

Thanks in advance

2. A good starting (and maybe ending) point: Press each string down at the last fret and adjust until the tops of the pole pieces are 1/8" from the bottom of the string. Earball it from there.

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I start with the poles 1/4" from the unfretted strings, and tinker from there if necessary.

That isn't "proper", but it's easier and works. Further away often has a nicer tone and is less likely to distort if you dig in.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    as close as you can get them without hitting the strings or sounding boomy and wierd. with a light touch you can get pretty close, if you're a banger you'll need to have them further away.

you want each string to have the same volume, so the E-A coil is going to be lower and the D-G coil higher. plug the bass in, and play, adjust, play, adjust until all 4 strings are equally loud, and the sound is right (boomy=too close, thin=too far).

5. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Awesome. Will have to try it out.

Any thoughts on adjusting a bridge J-pickup (70s position)? What distance should I aim for'?

6. eedo

eedo

Aug 13, 2008
    Minsk, Belarus
    I'd say it should have the height to sound as loud as your already adjusted P-pickup when soloed.
    And E string should sound as loud as G

7. Conventional wisdom is that the bridge pickup needs to be a little closer to the strings than the neck pickup for good balance, and I agree. Different pickups are different, though, so let your ears decide.