1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup options for Fender P5?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pickles, Dec 24, 2016.

1. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I have a really nice American Standard P5 that was modded with a Nordstrand P5 and a big split. I love the big split but would like sonething more vintage sounding in the neck position. Like a 62RI pickup. Wondering who else is making pickups for this bass? And is the new "professional series" pickup different than the american standard?

2. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    We have options that are more vintage flavored these days. Which model P do you have now?

3. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm not totally sure but it has straight across pole pieces rather than staggered. Its a really good sounding pickup, but more alive/edgy/modern than a 60s style P pickup (eg fender original, duncan antiquity). And since I have the big split for all the alive/edgy/modern you coild ever want, a more fendery round sound from the neck pu would be ideal.

It also has a bit of hum when solo'd.

4. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    The hum is odd. So is the pickup in equal sized covers?

We do make an NP5v, which is rounder and softer than the standard NP5. Might be what you're looking for. We also do a version with alnico 3 poles which is even more vintage and organic. That's the NP5v-A3.

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    It has the smaller coil and cover for the D and G stings.