Pickup or electronics replacement for ns2000/4

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by diegom, Jul 12, 2018.

1. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

I'm looking for advice.
    I have my Spector ns2000/4 (MIK). When I received it, it had just the pickups and poorly wired passive VVTT. Trying to give it back some of its dignity, I installed and EMG BTC, with the blend for passive pickups. While I love the feel of the neck, the curved body, etc, I'm not in love with the sound. It just seems loud, with no subtlety. I can't really get much dynamics out of it. I play soft, it has that 'loud' character. If I play hard, I get that same sound, only louder. This is most noticeable with tube amps. If I dig in, it is just louder, there is no 'break-up'. My old Carvin, with guitar (!!#!!) pickups, certainly takes a different 'color', depending on my touch.

So, is it the pickups? Is it the preamp? What would be your recommendations for a more touch-sensitive bass?
    Thanks!!!

Diego

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I would try the EMG 18 volt mod to see if the added headroom gives you the dynamics you’re looking for.

diegom likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021