1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup Order Blues....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stringly, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Stringly

Stringly

May 27, 2019
    I've got the pickup order bllLLLLlluuUUUueeeessssss... waiting on a pickup order through a reputable online retail/distributor and been told the manufacturer is backordered with with a bunch of retailers. No need for names, not complaining. These things happen. I understand there are a million + 1 things that cause/effect etc.

I am curious, what is the longest time a pickup took to get from order to in your hands? I'm going on 4 months now, can anyone beat that?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Tom Petty said it best. “The waiting is the hardest part”.

mikewalker, DJ Bebop and Stringly like this.
  3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

It’s like watching grass grow.

Stringly likes this.
  4. Stringly

Stringly

May 27, 2019
    Maybe even slower. If I'd placed the order in the spring instead of the fall I'd have mowed the lawn several times by now lol.

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  5. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Hope his name wasn't David S

6. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
    Read the pinned thread about SGD pickups at the top of the page.

7. Stringly

Stringly

May 27, 2019
    Yeeeeiiiiiiish, no it wasn’t sgd... wow...
    my order is for a more generic brand.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  8. Stringly

Stringly

May 27, 2019
    I browsed through some of that, 6+ years comment on one post. wow.

9. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. In my experience that is an exceptionally long wait for anything but the rarest truly custom pickups.

That I happen to ever see, truly custom pickups made by an independent can take as little as two weeks and up to three or four months to ship.

But which stock pickups that can be bought from a retailer take that long? Aero maybe. Just maybe. I can't think of who else it might be.

thetragichero likes this.
  10. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    Is it bartolinis? I’ve been waiting a month tomorrow.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    All of them have a zillion orders to fill after NAMM. I've been quoted 6 to 8 weeks on some Nordstrand pickups. Meh. I'm getn exactly what I want, so it's worth the wait.

Clark W likes this.
  12. Stringly

Stringly

May 27, 2019
    Yup. I was told they are backordered by several retailers. My order was for a set of current production pups that the retailer doesn't normally stock. Nothing fancy.

No doubt. I contacted bartolini and was told they fill customer/dealer orders before regular stock, I can imagine most of the manufacturers do as well. I'm sure my pups will be worth the wait as well.

13. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    I haven’t finished the bodies OR necks that these are for, so no biggie, but I do want them!

14. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    I ordered from SGD in 2010 or 2011. I actually received my pickups-----about 10 months later. Well after I had assumed they would never come.

I ordered direct from Nordstrand a couple of years ago. BigRigs. I needed 17mm string spacing and ordered an Alnico III version. So, they actually had to make them for me. Only took them about a week. This was probably early summer time. After the post-NAMM rush.

15. roccobass

roccobass Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Northern California
    Which Bartolini’s are you waiting from and from whom. Reason is this. I tried to give my local retailer my order for two B -Axis pickups in November. He told me 2 mos. in mid January I had to call. I never got them. My guy stating a supply problem. Hmm. I promptly cancelled my order and placed one with Sweetwater. Received them in a week after that. They are now resting comfortably in my fretless.

16. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    Interesting. I've been talking with Stew McKinsey at Nordstrand about a custom sized set of Nordstrand Jazz pups for my Peavey 5 string that inexplicably uses 4 string sized pups and 16.5mm string spacing. I know, Peavey did it that way so they could use the same pups across the same line of basses for 4 and 5 string models. Anyway, he's been very helpful, but the one thing he hasn't mentioned in all of our correspondence back and forth and getting measurements, etc.. is wait time. Everything else down to the windings, ordering and price has been covered.

ezstep likes this.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I don't know all of the details. The person doing some work on my bass is the one with the relationship with them. According to him it's 6 to 8 weeks "we hope".... meaning it could possibly be a little longer.

18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

One reason why I don’t order anything anymore that isn’t in stock. I no longer play the “order now - more on the way” game.

19. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    The problem is I can't find anything stock, pup wise, for that bass. A 2000 Peavey Millennium BXP 5.
    Nothing wrong with the pups that are in it. Great playing and sounding bass. But it's one I got so cheap I can afford to mod it too. And putting a set of custom made Nordstrand pups in it would really make that bass shine. And it would be unique. Maybe not another BXP out there exactly like it once I did this pup swap.

I can afford to wait because the bass is fine as is. But if I needed pups for it, I'd have no choice but to wait unless I could find some stock BXP pups used on the market.

20. Stringly

Stringly

May 27, 2019
    Original Splits set in a soapbar through bestbassgear. Shipping to Canada so I'm limited in retail/distribution. Both Bart and Best have been friendly/polite. As I said in my first post, there could be a million factors as to why.