1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup Position Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jon Clegg, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    As I mentioned on another thread, long ago I found a spreadsheet online of the pickup positions as a percentage of scale length. The site where I found this was in an asian language and has since disappeared. Now I have no earthly idea as to how valid the data from the original s/s was how the measurements were taken etc. I also found a paper posted online from a college class by two gentlemen named Ely and Fassbinder that includes some pickup positions as well. That paper can be found here.
    In the course of trying to find this data again I also came across a german language site that had some similar data posted in their forum, which I've converted from cm to inches and included.

So the spreadsheet has the data from these different sources is combined into one source, the primary data is the position as a percentage of scale length, with inches from the nut as the secondary data. I also list the heritage of the data in the notes column.

If you have corrections, etc. please post them here and I'll periodically update the spreadsheet. Enjoy :)

Attached Files:

bass_case likes this.
  2. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks, I'll incorporate any unique things into the spreadsheet.

3. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
  4. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    Thanks for posting this Jon!

5. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    You're welcome. Hope you find it useful.

6. RyanKinBK

RyanKinBK Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Oakland
    Hi all,

I decided to adapt Jon's original spreadsheet into a Google Sheet, since that's a bit easier to use (and make copies of). Here's the Sheet:
    Bass guitar - Pickup position measurements

Let me know if you have any measurements you'd like to add or correct.

fermata, sikamikanico and Jon Clegg like this.
  7. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Thanks, this is very nice! It about corresponds to my notes, but I rounded my numbers to keep it simple, so I'll use this as a reference from now on :)

One change: That Fodera AJ is weird, says it's 34" and has two pickups, so it may be some "custom" bass based on AJ's contrabass/Presentation? Or it could be flat out wrong. The most definitive source is Anthony himself, and he said his pickup is about 32" from the nut, and of course his basses are 36" scale.

One addition: Gibson Ripper II, 26.375” for the neck pickup, 31” for the bridge. They say it's a 34" scale. I think the originals were 34.5" scale, but I'm not sure how pickup locations translate, or that 34" scale was a typo...

waubain likes this.
  8. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Hey thanks for the input!

Those may have been errors in the original data I harvested off the net. Wouldn't be surprised. I know that I had to make a correction to the Ric scale length as well. I believe you're correct that Rippers were 34.5"

sikamikanico likes this.
  9. RyanKinBK

Oct 30, 2013
    Oakland
    Thanks a bunch guys!

@sikamikanico, I've added new lines for the AJ Presentation (AJ official specs) and Gibson Ripper II. Thanks for the additions.

With regards to the other "Anthony Jackson" Fodera in the sheet, my guess is the original data refers to an instrument that isn't an "official" model built to Anthony Jackson's specs. (For instance, the AJ Fodera in the sheet has 2 pickups, whereas the current, official AJ Presentation only has a single pickup.) As such, it's certainly possible that the instrument referenced in the sheet was built as a 34" with a AJ Contrabass or AJ Presentation-shaped body. I'm inclined to keep this other AJ Fodera in the spreadsheet for now, but I'm open to removing it if anyone thinks it's misleading or confusing to have it in there. Any concerns with this?

10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    It would be cool to get some Zons on there. Nice work!

11. RyanKinBK

Oct 30, 2013
    Oakland
  12. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I've got access to one. PM me with how the measurements are done (edge of p'up, middle of p'up, or ??)

13. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Zombie Thread Alert!
    Rickenbacker 4002:
    Scale: 33.25 inches
    Pickup positions to center of pickups: 27.5 inches and 31 inches.

sikamikanico likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021