1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pickup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mr. thingy, Jun 5, 2007.

1. mr. thingy

mr. thingy

Feb 15, 2007
    Shiner
    Hi. I have an Epiphone Thunderbird bass, and I was looking to possibly get a new set of pickups. Does anyone know of any that would have a bright, punchy sounds with good low and high (I usually turn the mid completely off on my amp, so it doesn't really matter)? And it cant be too horribly expensive. Thanks in advance!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, how do you keep from getting lost in the mix without midrange? That scooped mid sound is good for playing at home, but doesn't work too well in a band setting. As a longtime working pro, I must advise you to reconsider your ban on mids. By themselves they sound ugly. But they make all the difference in the world between being heard and not being heard.

You might want to try actual Gibson pickups in it. Never heard many people complain about the brightness level of the Gibsons. John Entwistle used them. I don't have a lot of experience with Epiphone Thunderbirds, but they don't use pickups like what are in the Gibsons.

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The US Thunderbird pickups are pretty well loved with lots of clarity! (Gibsons are "known" for being muddy- mostly the fault of the EB series basses). I'm not sure that you can buy them seperately though? I know used ones on Ebay go for alot of money!

Karl

4. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Abuser of Thunderbird Shaped Objects. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    You can't buy Gibson T-Bird pickups from Gibson anymore. They do come up on Ebay sometimes, but they usually cost over $200 for a set. There are some Basslines soapbar pickups (SB4?) I know of someone installing on a T-Bird and they really liked them. You would have to do a little routing for them to fit on an Epi tho. I think you can get a set of those for under $150.

5. You might try a Dimarzio Model 1.

6. mr. thingy

mr. thingy

Feb 15, 2007
    Shiner
    Thanks for the insight, guys! I'm relatively new to the world of bass. I didn't know that about the mids. I like the sound I'm getting, I was just curious as to what I could do with my tone. I'm getting a jazz bass, so that should cover the "bite" that I'm looking for. I also just discovered that my Thunderbird sounds SWEET with distortion.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021