1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup Recommendations for P/P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jufros, Apr 4, 2009.

1. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I had my precision modded recently and want to throw some new pickups in.

I'm considering:
    EMG P / EMG P
    Duncan Quarter Pounder / Quarter Pounder
    SPB-2 / SPB-2
    Dimarzio (bridge) / Quarter Pounder (neck)

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I'm not really looking for "vintage" tone but rather something with a lot of punch and growl. I don't mind making the bass active but I doubt that there's room for a preamp. Also, if anyone has P pickup sound clips they'd like to share, don't be shy.

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    double PMVC 4 FE/M2 4 String Split Coil Humbuckers. I have the J version (which is bassicaly the same) and I dig 'em man

3. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
  4. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I feel like the hotter QP in the bridge would totally demolish anything coming from the neck in a setup like that. I'm a growly 300-400 hz type of guy myself and I'm kind of leaning towards the double Dimarzio model P's at the moment. Still, I know in the back of my head that a double SPB-3 Quarter Pounder setup would pretty much make for the loudest and nastiest P bass tone of all time... decisions.

5. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Quarter Pounder neck EMG bridge?

6. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    I don't have a suggestion, but agree with the more powerful p/up in the bridge position. Great to see that I'm not alone in wanting to mod a P bass with another P p/up, just a great combo. I am going for a more vintage tone with my mod though and will be adding a Duncan SPB-1 to my road worn 50's P.

7. eedo

eedo

Aug 13, 2008
    Minsk, Belarus
    I think dimarzio would be good in neck position.
    Not sure about bridge position, but I'd rather support a double Dimarzio.
    There is a video with Lace Aluma P in the neck and QP in the bridge - quite nice, worth checking

8. eedo

eedo

Aug 13, 2008
    Minsk, Belarus
    Here it is

9. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Yeah I'm kind of learning towards a QP in the bridge and a Dimarzio in the neck now. I want a really fat tone but I think the Dimarzio in the bridge would help add a little definition. I usually play with the neck pickup full on and bridge rolled off with my tone all the way up. Love the sound to death and don't ever want to go back to the single P setup.