1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup sound vs. Bass sound

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by aaronl, Oct 19, 2009.

1. aaronl

aaronl

Oct 19, 2009
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I plan to buy my first pickup. I have a Franz Hoffmann bass that has been set up at a string shop. I like the sound of the bass except for the fact that the open D note has a much louder resonance than other notes. I was wondering if a pickup will replicate this aspect of the bass? I was considering the Realist and K&K Bass Max. Anyone have any advice?

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    The most important element in amplified tone is to develop a good acoustic tone first. I would advise you to have your luthier look at your bass to help you with the D string. A minor adjustment may take care of it.
    Pickup choice is tough. If you haven't already done so, research pickups here:http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43100
    Pickups each have general characteristics that may make one more suitable for your bass and give you the amplified tone you are after.

Although the ideal is to have your bass amplify like 'itself only louder', if most of your playing is through an amp, go for the best amplified tone you can get.
    Your acoustic tone must first be good, but through the amp it may be brighter or darker than the bass itself.

3. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Hard to say definitively, but Id say no, if the pickup is on the bridge, the D string wont be louder through the amp. In my experience anyways.

However, if you are using a microphone, then the D string will be louder and much more prone to feedback