1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup Spacing Comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NKBassman, Apr 28, 2010.

1. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Hopefully someone can help me. I'm looking for a picture I saw on here once that had 4 or 5 different basses adjusted to scale for comparing pickup placements. I searched and found nadda.

2. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Found it!
    pickuplocation.

Now, if someone could just add a Ric and P to that, that would great!

Basically, I'm wondering how Rick pickup placement compares with a standard P bass, but I think making this picture even more awesome would be good for everyone!

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Are both the Rick 4003 and the American P-bass 34" scales?

4. We've already had at least two of these threads before.
    And both times we concluded that using the stock photos were completely unreliable.

Not only were the angles of the shots all over the place, but some of them were also blatant photoshop renders.

5. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I'm not looking for exact measurements here, just a general comparison of how they measure up.

I didn't even consider they might be different scale lengths though. I guess that would change things...

6. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Rickenbackers are under 34 inch scale length. 33 and 1/4. If that makes any difference to you.

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I was just curious. I asked the question and then realized it was pointless, so I scaled the Rick to a 34" scale.

The angles of these basses make it impossible to get specifics, but you can see the approximate spacing. These were the absolute straightest pictures that I could find. Also, accurate scaling cannot happen with such small pictures.

Regardless, here you go, TS. I didn't draw the lines because they annoyed me, but I did verify it with a ruler on my screen.

[​IMG]

I could not get that Rick to line up well at all because of the angle. I ended up matching the 12th fret spacing like all the other basses had, but the bridge is quite off as a result. Approximations is the best you will get.

8. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Good enough, thanks a bunch!

9. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Aug 24, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Music Man with a P-Bass Linement that i seen about