1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup suggestions!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Grant Lockwood, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Grant Lockwood

Grant Lockwood

Jul 5, 2014
    I looking at doing a Warmoth bass build. I have been modding basses for years, some with good results and some I ended up putting the bass back to stock. My main issue is, I love how so many basses sound. I would like to be able to get a Music Man Stingray , Jazz and Pbass sound out of one bass. Question is it possible? I recently did a gig and narrows a Five string, a LTD jazz bass, I shielded the cavity and that was it, that think tumped like hell. The rest of the band could not believe A cheap bass could sound so good. Now the gig is over, and I wish I could get 5er that can do it all.

I am looking at going with Bartolini’s, either two soap bars or a Single MM, wire Series/parallel/single. Am I wasting time and money or just build a nice Jazz Bass with a series parallel switch?

2. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I would go dual soap bars. I find they cover most tonal options. I don’t think you’ll get a P bass sound without P pickups, but a soap bar neck pickup I think is close enough. At least it doesn’t drop the low end like I think J pickups do.

Alternatively could you purchase 2 used basses for the price of a new Warmoth?

3. Grant Lockwood

Grant Lockwood

Jul 5, 2014
    Ya know that isn’t a bad idea at all. This last gig I played really turned my whole thinking around. I was playing this Barrowed LTD jazz bass that for me is all wrong with the string spacing and what not. But I ha had to learn to love it. I also have been looking at other soapbar basses. For the money you can’t beat the Ibanez SR505/655/675. All cover a wide range of useable tone, including a great pbass tone. Sure not 100% but they get in the ball park.

4. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    You could do something like what Dingwall does with three soapbars - neck by itself is kinda like P, neck and bridge in parallel is kinda like jazz, and then the middle and bridge in series (or parallel?) is kinda like musicman. I never tried it, but I can believe these are passable impersonations...

Grant Lockwood likes this.