1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickups for a vintage JBass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by adrian5b, Jan 16, 2012.

1. adrian5b

adrian5b

Jan 15, 2012
    First of all hello talkbass, this is my debut post at your forum, and I'm looking forward on becoming a regular reader of your forums and hopefully, I could come in handy with a couple of answers from day to day. Excuse me if you find it hard to understand me sometimes, I'm Mexican, so English isn't my first language.

Anyway, I'm hunting down a 1975 jazz bass that I found for the excellent price of $1200 dlls. My favorite bass is the 1978 jazz bass, but this isn't far. It has all of it's original pieces except for the pick ups, which were replaced for a set of diMarzio DP123BK. I'm not very fond of diMarzio pickups, so my question here is: which pickups should I take a look into? I'm an all around player, I play and love prog rock with my band, but, to be honest, it isn't the most fun music to play when you're alone. When so, I rather jam along funky drum lines, and I try to improvise a little jazz from time to time.

I recently sold a Warwick Corvette Std. which had a set of MEC pickups if I remember correctly. I liked them, but I found them a little too mild for my style. So, for the J-bass I was thinking maybe getting a set of passive EMG's which would sound nice when playing with my band, and maybe adding a compressor or some preamp to my set to funk on. What do you think?

2. Duncan quarter pounders or Rio Grande Muy Grande better still if you want more aggressive jazz tones.