Pickups in Lakland DJ5 (Stock vs Bacchus)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by drdog, Sep 20, 2018.

1. drdog

drdog

Apr 17, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I need your inputs on this...
    I recently picked up a Lakland Daryl Jones DJ5 bass.
    Problem is: The pickups presently in it came from a Bacchus bass (but original owner does not know what model it was from). He also gave me the stock pickups too.
    It also has active electronics in it.
    Is anyone familiar with Bacchus pickups? What would sound better in the DJ5...the original stock pickups, or the Bacchus?
    I really would rather not go thru the long hassle of swapping pups to compare for fear I may have liked the Bacchus better. Any ideas or experience with Bacchus pickups out there?
    I am also not so crazy about the active electronics in it...they sound way too thin and whenever I move the (stacked) treble or bass, it gets "buzzy"....kind of like the single coil buzz you typically hear. I think the actives make the bass much more trebly at any position other than neutral for bass/treble stack pot.

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    The preamp seems faulty, or something’s off... I’d take it to someone for diagnosis or just take it out... That will also give you a good opportunity to test both sets of pickups. Which I think you should!

How old is the bass? Or what’s the serial number? I think first two digits are year number... the thing is, on older basses, Lakland used Aero pickups, and those are just killer. If that’s the case, I wouldn’t think twice about using them in the bass. But even the later Hanson/Lakland pickups work well, so you should try them!

3. drdog

drdog

Apr 17, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I cannot find a serial number anywhere on the bass...I checked the back of headstock, neck, and topside of headstock. Do they all have a s/n somewhere? Where would it be?

4. BassikBrad

BassikBrad Bass Face Brad Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2018
    New Mexico
    This is where mine is, maybe at some point in time they moved it !? _DSC1845.JPG