Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickups picking up.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bass4nds, Sep 23, 2005.

1. bass4nds

bass4nds

Sep 23, 2005
    Hey- I'm new to the board, but not to bass playing. And I feel really stupid asking such a newbie question. But I just bought a new Jazz bass, and it sounds awesome!! The kind of music I play calls for that raunchy, nasty punk sound that I love, and it works like a charm. However, my pickups don't pick up the low E string as well as all the other strings... what do I do? Is it just crappy electronics? or can I raise or lower the pickups to get a more even sound?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Assuming your rig drops to the frequencies you want and tone controls are not adjusted to the contrary, pup adjust is the first step on the bass. Just measure your current height before you jack with them so you can get back to where it was if desired. If the E string looks close enough it could actually be too close to the strings - which will cause a volume loss and usally distortion on the E string (most noticeably above the 7th fret).

Don't know how you've come to this conclusion but low frequencies have a long throw so it may just be an acoustic issue.

3. bass4nds

bass4nds

Sep 23, 2005
    yeah. thanks man. I'm pretty sure its the bass and nothing acoustic, cause I've used it through at least 3 rigs now, inside and outside, in arenas, churches, and an amphitheatre, and it all does the same thing. I fixed it up and it works really well now. I guess what I was hearing was a 'hollow' sound that was quieter than I'd like it, and raising the pickup a little took care of it. Thanks for the advice.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

according to Lawrence (and my exprience) doubling the distance from the strings will result roughly 60% volume reduction and noticeable loss of low frequencies. But I personally was suprised at a volume drop if they were too high. Never had it happen without the distortion also so a bit irrelevant cause the distortion has to be taken out to make them right.

I personally raise them as high as they'll go without distorting or taking a string hit cause they're much more responsive.

5. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    +1

I'd check to see that the E string doesn't have a higher action compared to the rest of the strings. Raise the pickup on the bass side, until it sounds right. Good luck! :smug: