1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickups that Sound like a Ric?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ShiftyShift, May 27, 2012.

1. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    Are there any (relatively) cheap pickups similar to rick pickups in sound? I'm planning on putting Ric style pups in a build I'm designing, but all the Ric pups I can find are >100, which is too much. Any suggestions are very welcome
    :bassist:

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  3. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
  4. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    A Fender Jazz Bass with the pickups wired in stereo like a Rickenbacker 4001 sound a lot like a Rickenbacker 4001...
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/d-68r-EEFIU

I like having the option to use my Jazz Basses in original (mono) output or in true stereo. The stereo option does change the sound of the Jazz Bass but the change is really incredible. IMHO..

5. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012

Is that wired just each pickup straight into a volume then to the jack?

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

No. Horseshoe pickups are not the same as the Hi-Gains. True Horseshoes are hard to find and expensive. The ones Ric is making these days are not the same as true Horseshoes.

7. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    Not exactly...it's pretty involved wiring. I have a picture of it posted somewhere on this site...
    The wiring was done for me.

8. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    They are pretty much the same, but the bridge pickup has a larger magnet. They use rubberized ceramic magnets. The magnet they currently use on the neck pickup is pretty wimpy. I rewound a neck pickup for someone recently and replaced the rubber magnet with a could of small neos for more bite.

But you can use a neck pickup at the bridge. I used to use two toaster pickups on one of my Rics. The toasters use alnico magnets.

9. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    So, the neck pups you linked too aren't that great? I think you may be recieving a custom order soon, after visiting your awesome site. Can you wind me a Rick sounding pup? (You can PM me if its easier/more comfortable for you)

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

11. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Ric5 - that sounds like a Ric? How so? Similar sensing aperture?

Also, wasn't there someone who still made their own horseshoe variant? Lollar?

12. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    That sounds pretty incredible!

How come it looks like you're only using one output in that video?

13. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    If you wound something like that with 44 gauge wire it probably would.

Lollar does indeed make horseshoes. I think he makes them for steel guitar, but he can make them for bass.

14. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
  15. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
  16. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
  17. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    Thanks!

I have two outputs on my Jazz Bass. I dumped the tone pot and shifted the original (mono) output to the hole where the tone pot was and had the stereo output put where the original output jack was.

18. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Cool. So do you use a TRS cable for the stereo jack then?

The only stereo instrument I ever owned was a Yamaha Attitude. It had two outputs, one dedicated to each pickup, and a stereo/mono switch. In mono mode both outputs were the same, putting out a blend of both pickups as in a typical instrument. In stereo mode the outputs were split.

I'd love to have a stereo bass again for recording, but I'd hate having to lug a stereo rig to the gigs I play.

19. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    Yep, tip, rig and sleeve. I bought a dual mono 1/4 " jack to female stereo for the amp end and used a mic cable with two stereo (trs) connecters, one being an L-plug for the guitar connection.

I love using the stereo rig for my gigs. The Acoustic 215's are going to get a rest for awhile because I'll be soon using my new Mesa PH 212's. The cabs fit in my car's back seat. I'll use the 215's for some gigs and the PH 212's for others. The stereo rig is great for running the effects through my bridge pickup while the neck pickup stays clean. Monster tone.

Isn't that Yamaha Attitude the Billy Sheehan bass? He ran stereo. Another Geddy Lee fan.....
    I used to dig that nasty snarly tone he got form his old P-Bass back in the Talas and DLR days.

20. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    There's always the trick with using two break-on-insert output jacks. Line6man explained it best.

The special jack is somewhat of a rarity - as soon as I find what the actual model is, I'll post.

Edit - found it. It's a Switchcraft 13B 1/4" (6.3mm) jack. The break terminal is called a shunt in the technical drawing. So, connect shunt #1 to tip #2 and shunt #2 to tip #1. With one cable in everything goes out in mono through that one jack, whicherer it is. With two cables in, each pickup goes through its own output jack.