1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pickups to pair with the spb3 on the bridge too increase mids?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bl00dshot, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Bl00dshot

Bl00dshot

Apr 2, 2019
    I've been looking into the hot jazz bass pickups. would that work well with my spb3 and if not any suggestions on something that will?

2. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Is it a PJ bass? Or are you making a new bass (or having one made)?

3. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    I'd look at either STK-J2b, or the SJB-2b. The SJB is a single coil, the STK is hum-cancelling.

Bl00dshot likes this.
  4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    One way to increase mids (and output) is to wire the two pickups in series.

PawleeP and Bl00dshot like this.
  5. Bl00dshot

Bl00dshot

Apr 2, 2019
    its a p bass im looking to convert it into a pj

6. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Ah, in that case, since you have to route a new pickup hole anyway, I'd be tempted to get a set of SJB-3 quarter pound J pickups, route the holes for them about an inch apart, and use them as a humbucker in the bridge position. That's something I would do.

Admittedly, I'm an odd bird. But bass players seem to exist in two broad categories -- traditionalists and boundary-pushers. A traditionalist would probably keep the P bass as a P bass and put a pickup in it that gets a vintage sound. You're converting a P to a PJ and you're using a P pickup most traditionalists don't like, so maybe you're up for something way outside the box.

I really like unique basses. Doing that would give you a bridge pickup that could definitely keep up with a P pickup that most pickups would struggle to keep up with. It would allow a flexible single-coil tone in those situations where noise isn't an issue depending on which pickup you want to use, and in those situations where noise is a problem, you'd still have a usable bridge pickup. Plus it would look cool.

ctmullins likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021