1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PICKUPS?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chino410, Mar 17, 2009.

1. chino410

chino410

Mar 17, 2009
    I am new to bass modification and i want to eventually build my own cab. But lets start with the bass itself. I play on a fender deluxe active 5 string jazz bass and a five string warwick rockbass fortress re-issue. what would be the best pick-ups for these two? im also interested in any other modificatio tips so im open to all opinions.

2. best pickup is subjective. Are you modifying for the sake of it, or are you trying to achieve a certain sound/tone that you are not getting with the current setup?

3. chino410

chino410

Mar 17, 2009
    the tone that i want is a slight growl with a warm crispness to it but still is slapping worthy

4. chino410

chino410

Mar 17, 2009
    nothing mellow or muddy

5. the Fender Deluxe imo should be able to do that stock!

6. chino410

chino410

Mar 17, 2009
    how do you feel about bartolini's vs. mec? just your opinions. i have MEC standard pickups on the fortress but im thinking about putting on bartolini's

7. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    I have bartolini's (MKI) on my SG905 and I really like them. My btb1006 that's supposed to show up today also has bartolini's (Custom, I think). I think it also really depends on your active pre in your bass as well...both mine have bartolini active pre's...so that could be part of why I like 'em so much. I can dial in a lot of different tones with the bartolini's, and you should be able to dial in what you describe you want...but I can't be for certain 'cuz I don't know what pre you have in that Fender Deluxe. I like em in my 905!

8. buzzguy

buzzguy

Mar 8, 2009
    Winnipeg
    I love the Bart soapbars in my Washburn. Lot's of power...great for rock, or anything requiring a "modern" sound. They may be too clean for what you're after, and every bass sounds different.
    I like them for what they are, but I wouldn't slap them in my 50's Vibe P-bass. Dig?

9. AcThaBass

AcThaBass

Mar 20, 2009
    Petaluma, CA
    Hi there, tought maybe I should post my question here:
    Fender Jazz Marcus Miller Bass 4s tring: Should I go:
    -Sadowsky Preamp and Sadowsky Pick Up Single Coil or HumCa.... or
    -Sadowsky Preamp and Bartolini J/J or????
    I am after more Rock Sound this time, but love to slap as well. Plese advise and Thanks!