Picoprojectors - projecting band's logo on stage?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DirtDog, Sep 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Been thinking about how to better socialize our band name during gigs.

Printed banner is the obvious choice, but I kind of hate the idea of a banner at the back of the stage. Can't always find a place to hang it and when it can hang, often looks like crap/bush league. Also have considered a vertical retractible banner for beside the stage. Finally, have considered mic stand flags kind of like the ones at the Grand Ol Opry. Since we're a country band, we could probably get away with it. Downside is that these would be single use objects - if anything changes, they're junk.

On the tech side of things, I was thinking a mini/picoprojector projecting the band's logo onto the wall at the back of the stage, or on the dancefloor or whereever, might be a good option too. Almost like a gobo?

Question I have is: do any of the pico projectors have the capability to project a still image from an SD Card type of thing (no need to hook up a computer) and would they be effective in a stage/live setting? If not, would there be other "projector-like" options?

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    How many places have a back of stage wall that is worth projecting onto? Sees like there's always a curtain, or some picture or even a lighted sign.

lfmn16 likes this.
  3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Well, now that I have put my thoughts into print, I was able to find something suitable.

CHAUVET DJ EZ Gobo Battery-Powered LED Gobo Projector EZGOBO B&H

Just need to add a custom gobo with my band's logo.

As far as surfaces to project onto - many places we play have an adequate surface behind stage. In those places that don't, some other flat surface up high to the left or right of stage will do the trick. Nice this is we can be creative about it and not have to play by any rules other than physics.

Winslow, nixdad, Oddly and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sound great. Some thing to consider is where are you going to place the machine so it is safe and so you are not in the light path blinded.

If it is behind the audience you may get shadow puppets. :chicken:

Oddly and DirtDog like this.
  5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Hmmm, it might be good marketing to have people make obscene hand gesture shadow puppets with our projected logo! Let's make it a thing!

Oddly and S-Bigbottom like this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This is actually a fantastic idea. Beautiful in its simplicity. Why nobody has pursued this before now is beyond me. You could put the image on a wall, on the dance floor, or even if you want to hand a solid color cloth behind you. Heck, you could even put in on the side of your PA stacks. The front of the crowd would still see it. The possibilities are kind of endless. Heck, put it on the kick drum head if you can't find anywhere else in the entire club. There will never be a place where you can't find SOMEWHERE to project it.

7. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Simple and effective.
    I love the idea.
    That projector linked looks like it'd do a fine job...just make sure to have spare batteries, and a security guy guarding it!

DirtDog likes this.
  8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Ooh - I like that idea!

9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I've got the Chauvet unit on order. Now just need to sort out the custom gobo itself. Apparently there are places that specialize in these things - who knew?

nixdad, S-Bigbottom and Oddly like this.
  10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Can't tell if serious or sarcastic. :cool:

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Totally serious. As the guy who was responsible for hanging the stupid banner for a band for almost ten years, this seems much easier.

1) Whip out projector.
    2) Find a flat surface on or near the stage.
    3) Turn on projector.
    4) Zoom and focus.

Banners are dumb.

Winslow, nixdad, Grumry and 1 other person like this.
  12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Amen.

13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I've seen several bands do this. It's a pretty smart idea, and way sexier than a banner.

DirtDog and Grumry like this.
  14. Shinbone

Shinbone Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Fleming Island, FL
    Many of the places where we play have a TV near the stage. We have an animated logo running on a small laptop and run it the HDMI on the TV. I like the idea of a projector where this is not doable though. Better than messing with a banner.
    66591723_10213468030761244_1643196552635744256_n.jpg

Attached Files:

Winslow and nixdad like this.
  15. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Getting your band name/logo made up to slap on the kick drum is also effective (like Lifeline above ^ in @Shinbone's post)

S-Bigbottom and nixdad like this.
  16. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Excellent suggestion - already done!
    The Fab 8 Drumhead straight clean.png

Currently considering adding a Gobo as well: Gobo - Band Logo

S-Bigbottom and catcauphonic like this.
  17. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA Unsweetened, highly-caffeinated Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Northest New Jersey
    We use a modular frame and scrim when the venue permits. Otherwise, it’s EGB decals on several pieces of gear. The drummer owns the projector, positioned backstage, rear of the scrim.

0BB72EDD-7427-4C77-B947-875B6A04C55B.jpeg

nixdad likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021