Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pictures of German bow grip?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by azflyman, May 24, 2004.

1. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Greetings,

Has anyone found pictures of a proper German bow grip on the web? I will be taking lessons on arco soon but just wanted to see what a proper grip looks like.

Thanks,

az

2. I hate to be negative or anything, but I disagree with what that page says and shows. All the teachers I've studied with have taught that the pressure should definately not come through the thumb like that page advises, and I don't think that grip with the end of the thumb perched on top of the stick is very good. That whole grip looks really tense and unnatural to me... Just so I don't sound like a total bum, I'll post I picture of my own grip in a bit here.

Attached Files:

4. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Thanks! That helps me alot. I did several searches and came up empty.

az

5. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Yeah, how your thumb lays over the stick, that's how I used to hold my bow. I was controlling it with my index finger instead at the time.

Then I asked Gary Karr what his view on German bow grips was, and he made what seemed to be compelling arguments for letting the pad of the thumb rest on top of the stick - not for the sake of bearing down on the bow, but to feel the vibrations the stick transmits and better adjust for good tone quality as much as possible. So I switched.

Practice does so much, it's hard to know if it really does work...but I do like Gary Karr's sound.

6. Yeah, I know some people do prefer to put the pad of the thumb up on top, and thats fine, it's just not comortable for me. I just don't agree with using the thumb to apply pressure, which I think would be an easy habbit to pick up using that technique.

7. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I agree with you about the habit. I took the thumb off the stick when I was starting out, and it completely freed my wrist...but eventually I got the free wrist back with the thumb on top when I relaxed my grip.