Piezo Film Pickups

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by ToneRanger, May 23, 2005.

1. I may try those out on my EUBs.
  2. Brennan

Sep 29, 2004
    San Francisco
    I wonder why they always use unshielded wires for these pickups? I have a "pickup the world" version of piezo film and the wires pick up unwanted vibrations.
  3. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    In a high impedance system, coaxial cable may pick up more vibration and movement noise, because it's more capacitive than a pair of wires. Unshielded wires will pick up more outside electrical noice, unless you have balanced inputs.
  4. flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    I had interesting expierences with the PUTW. The noise from the wire was what killed it for me though (and a piezo mid range thing that I couldn't get rid of) In some situations this PUP sounded really good in others terrible. I fought with it for a while. I think someone is going to come out with a really good film piezo design that is sheilded and well built and noiseless.
    The PUTW preamps tho are hand built little wonders. I really dig their micro blender and their line driver is the smallest impedance matching preamp (that sounds good) that i've run across. It is battery opperated which some dislike but it works. Their little blender is the size of a pack of cigs and does the job....Somehow I always use the Solstice though...

Hey Geoff How did you like the revolution?
  5. Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    I have a supply of piezo film sensors I got from msi (you can also get some through Dig-Key and you'll need the right type of Mogami cable) and, though I've had encouraging results, there are a lot of hassles to overcome. My Full Circle is so good, I'm convinced there's no cheaper solution that could come close. So, though I may play with the piezos more, I don't expect to improve on the FC.
  7. Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    I can't verify right now, but I think I used Mogami type 2784. Basically, you'll need something light weight, flexible, and non-microphonic as possible. That's all I could find and is the same MSI uses on their sensors like their SDT1-028K, which is a good one to try because it is self-shielded from hum by being folded over. (You wouldn't need cable for it if it's long enough, but would if you bought just raw film pieces, and then you'd have to attach the cable too.) I didn't really notice hum, but I didn't subject it to heavy fields like fluorescent lights, either.

I've not tried the cheap piezo buzzer disks. Supposedly they can work, but I don't think that's the way to go. If you're interested, download and read the documentation from MSI. There are a lot of app notes. You can buy direct from them and some parts are avail. from digikey.com.

Remember you'll need a high input impedance (1 Meg may be a little low), and a buffer amp near the pickup would be better.