Pimp My Ride

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vorago, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I don't know if the show is still on in the US, but here in Europe, you can see it on Mtv 5 times a week. For you guys who don't know it, it's a show where people get the chance to have their cars "customized" by West Coast Customs, for free it seems. I don't like most of the cars that they customize, but I admire their craftmanship.

Now, question is, who pays that? Mtv? They say everytime they've put more then 20000$ in a car etc etc, so I wondered...where does the money come from? Namedropping? Sponsoring?

(X TO DA Z ! :D )
  2. I assume MTV foots the bill for pretty much everything on the show. $20,000 in parts/accessories plus labor is likely peanuts compared to what advertisers pay for a slot on MTV.
  3. what i would like to know is what are these kids going to do when something tears up or when they wreck. I bet that would cost a lot
  4. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I even bet some of the companies (tires, sound systems, etc.) will give free stuff to that show for advertisment, so it probably doesn't end up being that much besides what they pay Xzibit.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I think they should call the show "Wimp My Ride" instead. What good is it when you throw $20k worth of bling at a car, and in the end still have a wheezing four banger under the hood? A few performance mods instead of automatic bowling ball dispensers would be nice.

All show and no go. :rolleyes:
  6. I've seen it like once or twice.

7. You said it all. I've only seen them even work on an engine once or twice, and that was only because it wouldn't start. All they did if I remember correctly was clean everything, replace a few spark plugs or whatever and put it back together. Even tossing in a new four-banger would be a great idea, who cares how many monitors your car has if it's got 250k miles on it and won't start?

I would actually prefer a new/upgraded engine to most of their upgrades anyway...although they put in some pretty sweet stereo systems.
  8. Do you really need that many freaking tvs in your car? It's not like you can watch and drive at the same time anyway.

That said, they have done some pretty cool stuff in the past, I have to admit.
  9. Some of the things they put on the cars are a little strange too. I think I remember watching one episode where they were "Pimping" this guys car, and since he spends a lot of time tuning up the underside of the car, they put a freak'n tv moniter down there. ***? How long would that last before a rock or something breaks it, like 20 feet?
  10. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
  11. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Yeah i've always wondered if they fixed any of the real problems with the cars at all or just dressed them up all pretty with all the junk parts still in them. Seemed a little ridiculous to put all that work to still have a junk engine under the hood.
  12. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I love that show.

My favorite car mod:

This kid likes fish. Okay, we'll put a FISHTANK IN THE TRUNK OF HIS CAR. This tank is completely sealed so the water won't spill (and I guess no air gets in either) and they have an automatic fish food dispenser set up for it.

As if the fish in the tank are going to survive being bashed into the tank walls when the car turns a corner and survive being parked in the summer heat for hours at a time. And I imagine since the tank was sealed and fastened to the trunk interior, getting the dead fish out was also a fun experience.

How can you guys not love it? This is quality entertainment!
  13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I think the cars give this guys the chance to try some new stuff, new finishes etc, if it doesn't turn out to be great, who cares, the kid will like it anyway. I saw them installing a coffee machine between the seets, I mean :eyebrow:

And btw, the other cars they tune up kick serious ass.
  14. For all those people complaining that nothing is done to the engine I can only say: pfhhh. Stop watching MTV and switch over to the autosport channel, there's a tuning program on all the time.
    "Pimp my Ride" is about flash and way loud stereo systems(I think the 8x10 they installed in a Suburban with something like 1200 watts was insane). It's an amusement show for non-tuning freaks and I'm certainly amused.
    Plus, they gave the kid whose car was made from 2 halves that were held together by bubblegum a brand new Toyota(or some other japanese make, I forget which). That was just plain sweet and nice.
  15. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    True that, but I'd rather have my car look good and keep my motorcycle fast. Cars can't touch bikes :)

I think there would be a market for pimped out cars that still use small engines to save on gas economy, especially with today's gas prices. Actually, I'd love a nice looking electric. I've had a chance to drive electric. Those engines have alot of torque. May not have high end but you can accelerate :)
  16. My drummer has 2 2x10s in the trunk of his '65 Caddy and just the subs themselves put out 1400 watts. That doesn't even count the 2 6's and 2 4's in the back seat and front seat of the car. Hell, he set off car alarms in the school parking lot listening to Jimi Hendrix!
  17. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Going fast looks good, imo.

I myself would rather have "all go and no show" rather than the reverse.
  18. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Hey that espresso machine (it was an espresso machine) is one thing that I would actually like from that show. If you set it up so that it started up with the car (via a remote starter) that would be ideal. You get out to your car, and boom, your espresso is waiting for you!
  19. On the floor of your car.