Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheJimster, Feb 25, 2006.

1. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    Hey guys,
    This is slipknotz with my third thread made. Most know that i love nu-metal badns like Slipknot, and KoRn and System Of A Down but I love classic rock more. My favorite classic rock band is Pink Floyd!! So tell me what you think about Floyd and how their career was coming up.

2. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Your gonna get some bad responses, but since you're new no worries. :)

Floyd is awesome! I like Animals the most, but its all good. Waters/Gilmour was one hell of a combo. Man I wanted to go to live 8, that would have been sweet. As for they're stuff now, from what I've heard it's no floyd. In summary, they rock. :bassist:

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the only bad response he ought to get is that this is music related, and as such belongs in misc. :)

4. Pink Floyd is pure genius if you ask me. If I could have been in any band, throughout time, I'd of been in Floyd, If only to get a glimpse into what made those albums. Syd Barrett was great. Though it is sad that Syd eventually no longer function properly in society, I believe that watching him break down made Roger Waters begin to question his own sanity, leading to one of the main elements of the Pink Floyd sound.
    Richard Wright and Nick Mason are also both severly underrated.
    Listen to DSOTM, WYWH, and Atom Heart Mother. Listen to them closely and then try to imagine them without the keyboards. Thin and Dead. Nick Mason was just as good as Bill Bruford and Cozy Powell and Aynsley Dunbar and any other English Drummer at the time. He just gets overlooked.

Also , one of my favorite album covers ever. Dunno why.

[​IMG]

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    what I think about floyd??? hmmm.. How about Easily the greatest Band in recorded music history? That sounds about right to me!

6. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Atom Heart Mother is a great album.
    Pink Floyd + Orcestra = Awsome

You do know the story behind the cow on the cover don't you? Pink Floyd at the time were moving away from psychedelic space rock and more into advant garde, so they asked Hipgnosis to pick/make the "Most Un-Floydian Cover Possible".

Some other favoritees of mine
    A Saucerful of Secrets, Ummagumma, Meddle and Wish You Were Here

7. Funny , Though very un-floyd, it's very Floyd. :D nowadays at least. Although Psychedelic Breakfast doesn't really help make the difference.

The only Floyd studio album I don't own is The Division Bell. Worth getting?

8. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Best cover design is a tie between "wish you were here" and "Animals" followed by 2 close seconds, Darkside and The Division Bell

9. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    how can you not love Floyd?

-jimbo

10. listening to The Final Cut. Although, its more of a roger waters solo album, backed by floyd, its very good. Lots of emotion.

Floyd are my all time favourite band. Animals being my favourite album. I found a DVD at a record store the other day of floyd playing live in london, i think in 1968. This was original line up with syd, im going back to get it next week.

Anyone seen it?

11. I think Floyd had to be seen; to truely be able to appreciate them... Pulse is just amazing. Can't wait for my DVD to arrive; my VHS is dying on me... :(

Would love to have a concert of them at the least with waters playing. Need to track down that live 8 torrent!

12. Floyd is amazing. I saw them in Montreal on the Division Bell Tour. One of the best concerts I ever saw. My Fav Floyd Albums are
    Meddle
    DSOTM
    WYWH
    Animals
    and The Wall.
    My Favorit songs
    Echos
    Sorrow I just love the guitar in that song. Best tone ever.

13. bassistjo

bassistjo

Jun 22, 2005
    Pink floyd's great my band is playing money but does dark side of the moon actually match up with the wizard of oz?

14. how good is pink floyd. hhhmmm....lets see my daddy is 69 years old and likes italian opera but within the last year or so hes been listenin to pf. theyre still gainin fans after all these years. must be doin somethin right. on the turnin away is my favorite pf song.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think you mean Pink Floydz

16. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    If I'm not mistaken, DSOTM is still one of the largest selling albums of all time. To see where they came from, check out their first album, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, with Syd. Far out man!

17. Love 'em.

There will never be another band like Pink Floyd. Some will try, but will never be as good.

18. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    I might catch h*ll for this
    but
    Best band ever.

[and division bell just dosent hale the soul that the rest had.]

Momentary was good but after the parting of waters it seemed as the heart and soul slowly dried up.

+1 on the best guitar tone.

19. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    get off my back about the z. ok? ALthough it was a good joke.
    mY fav Floyd albums have to be

DSOTM
    Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
    WYWH
    Meddle
    and The Wall

Fav songs:
    Brain Damage/Eclipse
    Young Lust
    Sorrow
    and I'd have to say One Of These Days.

If nobody noticed that is really a big bass/drum solo!

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    One of my favorite bands ever, top 3 without a doubt.