Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pino Palladino Customshop Fender!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr_Dave, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    my friend put me onto this

http://www.pinopalladino.com/

"Fender Custom Shop will release a Pino Palladino signature bass, an exact replica of Pino's fiesta red '63 Fender Precision bass. That's the bass he's currently playing with the John Mayer Trio and it also was his main bass during the Simon & Garfunkel Old Friends tour in 2003"

man i am very excited!!! :hyper:

i bet that is an absolutely killer p

2. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    He had a great tone with S&G when they were i Stockholm in '04, i'm looking forward to see this :)

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I couldn't seem to find a picture of said bass. Oh well, I'm sure it will come up sooner than later. Pino is a great player - he smoked when I saw him play with the Who the tour after the Ox died.

I hadn't heard about the John Mayer trio until I followed that link. Sounds pretty interesting...

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I though Pino's bass was Coral Samon Pink?

5. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    Fiesta Red Fenders, at least the aged ones, look almost pink.

Andrew

6. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I heard (probably in here) Pino is playing a fretted bass now. True/false? Is he slap-happy as well now?

GREAT player!

7. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Dang, how tall is Pino? That P looks like a Strat on him...

[​IMG]

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Pino is 6' 5". At least he is not like Stanley Clarke, playing a short scale bass, his Alembic really looks tiny!

9. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah, the bass hasn't been seen yet. I hope they age it so it looks pink like his. The pink P bass is the one he keeps in standard tuning and uses for gigs like S & G. The sunburst one is the one tuned C# i believe and is used for Dangelo and stuff

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sweet,

love that stack of epifani 2x12's... :cool:

11. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte

...and is that an Avalon U5 at the top of his rack? :cool:

12. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Sure is.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Found a pic of Pino with the bass! Thought of you guys, here's the beauty:

14. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    What kind of bass did he play during his 'slapping-fretless-while-running-an-octaver-and-chorus' days with Paul Young?

I'm kind of embarassed now to admit I not only stole licks from him back then, but tone ideas as well. I played my fretless Jazz through a chorus and an octaver and tried to slap some Pino licks.

15. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Fretless Sting Ray.

16. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Big dude

17. root5

root5

Jun 8, 2006
    New York
    The Pino-P is a fantastic piece. Other forums here seem to be full of people slamming the "relic" concept, but until you play a reliced Fender, you can't really know just how comfy it makes the instrument, and how much it adds to the playability and overall physical appeal of it. Aesthetics aside (and it DOES look good), the relic job on the Pino-P is fantastic. The neck plays like it's been broken in just for you for 40 years! The Fiesta over Desert detail is just killer, and the fact that Fender recognizes the ban on Brazillian rosewood doesn't bother me. The price tag? Steep, and worth every nickle. I could do with a tiny less "aging" on the pups and machines, but it's not nearly as bad as the relic jobs they did when first the concept was applied by the Custom Shop.

IMO... the PINO-P, if played blindfolded, and A/Bed next to another P actually from the "Funk Machine" year (yes the Pino is a 62 model, same as Jamerson's main axe), you'd be hard pressed to pick which was the vintage piece. And I mean HARD PRESSED!

Don't knock the relic job, unless you've played one and really decided that it's not for you. It's FAR more than just an aesthetics thing.

I love the Pino-P.

18. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Old post, but what the heck. I like the look of the Pino P as well, but they cost as much as a real vintage P. I would be interested in one, but not for that kind of cash. I saw one recently for something like 3K...?

19. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    Two-band model with a replacement ebony fingerboard (I think) because he had worn the original board out and he used a Pedulla Buzz fretless for "I'm gonna tear your playhouse down" as I recall from interviews at the time.

Why be embarrased? Pino is a great player, certainly one of my favorites, though I wish he would play a bit more fretless now (it's been long enough surely that he could dust it off and give it a twirl).

The problem for me is while I understand the desire to reproduce a played in neck, why then sand off the finish of the body, age the pick-up covers, rust the bridge, add "fake" dings, etc., which has nothing to do with either sound or playability. Oh, yeah, and there's the price involved with the distressing too. The Pino custom P-bass is over $3,000 ($4,500 list) right? That's just having a laugh.

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Have you ever played a vintage bass? I find it through and through to be much more comfortable than a new bass. Not just the neck.