Pitch Shifter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by aeternuS, Mar 18, 2004.

1. aeternuS

Mar 15, 2004
    Ankara, TURKEY
    My bass is tuned down to D-G-C-F when playing with my current band. I have the strings-hitting-the-fretboard problem when playing fast and when I raise them it's really hard for me to play as I'm not an experienced bass player.

I've seen that the DigiTech BNX3 has some effect called the pitch shifter. With that, can I tune my bass to standart setting and have the output sound 2 steps down? If I can, will the sound be good and natural?

If not, what do you advise me to do? :help:
  2. you probably can. i don't have a bnx3, but i have a pitchshifter in my nightbass processor and it can do that with good tracking. i would trust the digitech more than others only because i know they make the whammy and bass whammy, so i'd assume this pitchshifter has the same technology.

3. You can try the BNX but i'm not sure it will do what you want it to. The Roland V-Bass does this in a more exact way and may be more what you are looking for.
  4. aeternuS

Mar 15, 2004
    Ankara, TURKEY
    Thanx alot.. V-Bass is much expensive for me and from what you guys write it seems that it's risky to buy the BNX. I think I'll go with some other solution :)
  5. Ryan OD

Ryan OD

Nov 3, 2003
    Northern VA
    Make sure the setup on your bass is good, and then just work on your technique.

In the meantime, you could try using heavier strings for tighter tension. That'll help some, but the best solution is in your hands.
  6. I've been using a BNX3 for the past year mostly for this feature. It's easier to bring 2 basses to a gig in STD tuning & use the pitch shifter to play the lower stuff like Godsmack & System Of A Down. Also I don't like 5 strings so I have a setting for Korn(real low) and a STD 5 String. The tracking is great. A little wierd when you play by yourself but with the band it's hardly noticible. It is a big convenience for me. I also have Hipshots on all of my basses for the quick drop 'D'.
    Another nice thing thing is when I have to learn something that is tuned a half step down(i.e.:Kiss, Slayer,AC/DC, etc.) I just hit a patch & I'm tuned to the CD.
    The recorder thing is a nice touch to. I mainly use it for samples.
  7. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Sounds like you have poor right hand technique. Try to play with your hand at more of a right angle with the strings... Straight out from them as it where...

8. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    heavier strings will probably do the trick
  9. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    Have you tried just tuning the E to D and leaving all the other strings normal, can you play the songs that way.
  10. +1
  11. Here is an MP3 of me playing a Korn song using the BNX3 as a pitch shifter. I'm using a 4 string Musicman Sterling tuned standard E-A-D-G
  12. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for sharing a sample.

I'm considering a BNX3. Since you've had yours a while now, do you find it has any limitations? How is it live? For recording?
  13. I only use it for FX now.........not the pre-amp or amp sims. I did use to use it before I started using EBMM basses & it worked very well. The whammy is the feature I use the most. It sounds great live. The only recording I've done w/ it was a live recording in which I posted a sample here. If you go to my band's site I have other MP3s posted. One song (Walk-Pantera) is also another tune in which I use the whammy. On that song I'm detuned a whole step down with it.
  14. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    barkatozz: i must say im very impressed with the quality of the music in your live sample. your band sounds very refined, and your bass sounds rich and full. what other equipment are you using?
  15. Thanks. This is the first time I've actually been truly happy w/ my rig.
    Fender Bassman 800PRO Head w/ an Ampeg 6X10 Cab. I also use a Sennheiser Wireless(I hate cables)
  16. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    nice gear! might be time for me to stop spending money on effect pedals and start spending money on some decent amps/cabs...
  17. I went through the stompbox phase trying to get "the" sound I was looking for. I credit my sound mostly to my Musicman basses. I go to a couple of open jams a week & the bass player has a couple of different rigs. He plays a Ken Smith bass & it sounds like ass crack. When I plug my bass into his rig it sounds like a whole new rig. I even plugged my MM directly into the board once when the bass player didn't show up & they were stuck and it sounded great........shocked the hell out of me. :eek:
  18. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    well there you have it. unfortunately i havent got the money to move on from my ibanez sr400 atm. maybe one day when im famous ill get a modulus or something!
  19. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio

This is good advice. If you use an effects based solution you will undoubtedly have problems with tracking or the sound quality eventually, as you begin to explore different techniques.

Look for a more "natural" solution- a 35" scale bass, heavier strings, better technique, etc. If you don't like a five string, then try buying a 5 string set and drop the g string, stringing and tuning your bass B-E-A-D. While doing this will require truss rod adjustment and filing the nut to accomodate the wider gauges, it may be a good cheap solution.

Good luck either way.

20. Actually I got used to the tracking right away. I know the older pedals w/ the Whammy were off badly but the BNX3 isn't that bad at all.