1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pizz strings for dark bass (coming from Evan weichs)

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by conner5833, Aug 30, 2017.

1. conner5833

Jul 24, 2010
    New York City
    hello all,

I apologize if this question is a repetition, I couldn't find one quite like it, though. I'm looking for a different sound from my bass than the one I've had for the last few years. I've been using Evah Pirazzi Weichs, but after being away and spending some time with a borrowed bass (which was naturally loud and had a lot of growly sustain), my bass sounds very dark and thumpy to me.

So I'm looking for a brighter string, but I do like the lower tension of the Evah weichs. I read somewhere than people use Spirocore Solo strings tuned down to orchestra pitch as a solution to such a problem: can anyone speak to that?

I'm basically looking for string recommendations; I play a lot of arco as well as jazz, but the idea of bowing Spirocore doesn't sound terrible to me, because I do a lot of extended technique related stuff and need the harmonics/high overtones to come through strongly.

Thanks so much,
    Bigbassguy likes this.
  2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I have played Evah Weich on and off for a few years now. I think you should try spirocores. I went for a heaver style string (spirocore mediums) but if I wanted something the same tension I would use the 3/4 weich. NOT the 4/4 weich strings. Its my belief that the 4/4 weich strings on the same bass will be slightly less tension than evah weich.

I don't recommend the solo strings tuned down as that would be super low tension and thats not what you're looking for. get the 3/4 set here:

Thomastik Spirocore Double Bass Strings: S42, S43, 3885.0, 3886.0

you want to order the 3885.0 Light/Weich strings which is the 2nd option from the top. I only decided to give you the upton website because thats the only place i know that distinguishes between the 3/4 size and 4/4 size. If the info between 3/4 and 4/4 size strings confuses you, talk to @DoubleMIDI
  3. Spiro Weichs will be your best bet. The harmonics and upper partials come through strong and clear in Spiro's, probably more so than most strings. And of course extended techniques speak loud and clear.
    Francois Blais likes this.
  4. utzb

Jul 31, 2017
    Not that bright, but if you liked the growly sustain on the borrowed bass, the Zyex lights might be worth considering. (I got some set up issues when moving from Evah medium, though; they seemed too light for my string and fingerboard setup).
  5. conner5833

Jul 24, 2010
    New York City
    Thanks for the replies! Anyone have any experience with the LaBella 7720s (either light or medium)? Are they in the same range?

I've seen a lot of mixed reviews, but generally it seems like they work well for very dark basses (which mine is).
  6. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    i don't know anyone who uses those. Most people stick to spirocores.
    Steve Boisen and james condino like this.
  7. Others can better chime in, but the basics gist I can get from what I've read about them is that they are bright strings.
    Miroslav Vitous, Harvie S, and I think Stanley Clarke use the LaBella's. Might be worth a shot to try, but guarantee the Spiro's will get you what you exactly need. I haven't used Spiro's on my bass in a while (mainly because it's really bright so I use Velvet Anima's to remedy that) but when I did and when I play other bass's with Spiro's, it is much easier to access the upper partials with Spiro's. Mark Dresser uses Spiro's, but then again he has the giffus to help amplify the upper partials.
  8. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Another contender is Corellis
  9. Kai Sanchez

Kai Sanchez Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2006
    I went back and forth between Spirocore Weichs 3/4 and Evah Weichs, and I've stuck with Spiros for it's punch and clarity. In my experience Spirocore Weichs 3/4 (.3885W) are very similar in tension to the Evah Pirazzi Weichs.
    Steve Boisen, Jon Mush and bskts247 like this.
  10. statsc

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    I just swapped my Spiro Mittels for Spiro Solos tuned down to orchestra pitch to reduce the string tension on my Upton Standard laminated and am quite pleased with the results. The bass seemed to "come out of its shell" a bit, with a nice big "rubbery" sound. No real decrease in volume that I can tell. Also, lower string tension means I can set the action a bit higher, which probably increases the acoustic sound somewhat.

I was able to get a used set for nothing, and cleaned the strings very well with Xylol (Xylene) before putting them on the bass. I couldn't believe the amount of black gunk (not visible to the naked eye) that came off the strings, which made them sound like new! You might want to try this cleaner on your old strings to restore the life to them. However, you should really take the strings off the bass to do it, as I'm sure a drop of this on your bass' finish would not be pretty. Also, you'll want to do this in a well-ventilated area, as Xylol has a strong odor which hangs around for a while. My wife makes me do it outdoors!