Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pizz to arco adjustment

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by greitzer, Feb 3, 2004.

1. At a recent symphony concert, on one particular piece the basses were switching back and forth a lot between arco and pizzicato. Each time they would make the switch, they would reach down and move something up or down, on one of their strings. The thing they were moving -- whatever it was -- was located between the bridge and tailpiece. They would move it up when they prepared to play pizz and then move it back down again when they prepared to play arco (or I may have it reversed, I can't remember which direction was which). Anyway, does anyone know what it was they were moving, or adjusting, on that lowest part of their string? Also, I don't know which string it was (my eyes aren't nearly that good).

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  3. \

PACMAN - thanks, but what's a torte mute?

4. tourte mute

This is on a cello, but you get the idea.

5. MIke -- that may well be it. I was far enough away to not be able to see it in detail, but the tourte mute in the photo looks like it would move up and down the same way. Thanks.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you look at some orchestral scores, mutes are specified by the composer for various passages.

So at the beginning of the second part of the "Rite of Spring", Stravinsky specifies "con sordini" over all the strings. Then sensza sord. at [87]. Con sord. at [89], then senza sord at [91] etc. etc.

7. Sounds like that's what it was. Thanks for the info, everybody.