1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PJ bass wiring questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Laklandfan, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Hello,
    I'm putting together a new PJ and am thinking about a different wiring scheme than my normal V/T/3-way switch. I've used this wiring because I've read it's the best way to make sure the P-bass pickup tone doesn't get changed by having the other pickup and different pots in the circuit. I was wondering if there is a way to wire a V/V/T, or maybe V/B/T, that accomplishes the same thing but doesn't require routing a switch. I don't know anything about electronics, but my basic understanding is that normally a p-bass pickup has 2x250k(?) pots in the circuit. If it's a PJ, wired in parallel like a jazz bass, then there would be extra pots (4x250k?) which accounts for why the p tone would change (darken/less treble frequencies?). I was curious what solutions have found for this.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

two linear taper 500k Ohm volume controls & an audio taper 500k Ohm treble-cut

Laklandfan likes this.
  3. You are right it's the extra pot that is dulling the treble ever so slightly. Honestly, the difference is extremely subtle, but if you really want a true P tone when the J is all the way down and the P is all the way up, the easiest way is to use a no - load tone pot. This way the load of that extra pot is switched out of the circuit when the tone is dimed.

Laklandfan likes this.
  4. Ringhammer

Ringhammer Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2016
    S. F. Bay Area
    I do the volume/blend/tone setup in all my 2 pickup fenders, whether they be standard Jazz, P/J or double P-bass pickups.

Since I either leave it center or, in the case of the double P setup, I’ll roll it all the way to the neck pickup for a normal p-bass sound, I find this setup good because it’s nice to have a single volume control.

I don’t find any noticeable loss in tone, and a use a variety of differ pickups.

Laklandfan likes this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The OP doesn't want extra loading & that's exactly what a balance/blend does.
    A blend pot introduces an extra Resistance value (it's dual-gang).

Laklandfan likes this.
  6. Ringhammer

Ringhammer Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2016
    S. F. Bay Area
    Ahh, I see. That’s something for me to think about.
    I guess I’d have to ask, is there a way to avoid extra loading with a V/B/T layout? I have done this configuration using all 250k pots and all and 500k pots, linear taper for the volume and audio taper for the tone. Also done it using .047, .033, and .022 caps.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021