PJ Pickup Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ScoobyGoo, Feb 10, 2006.

1. ScoobyGoo

Feb 10, 2006
    Hey, I'm looking for some good recommendations on Basses with a PJ set up in the pickups (Precision PU in the neck and Jazz PU in the bridge). I figure that would give me a good variety of sounds and good versatility? I play anything from Beatlesy Brit-pop to some slap bass so versatility is important considering I don't really have the money to buy two basses to get a full range of sound.

I have a Squier Bass with the same PU setup, which I bought back in my ignorant days. The pickups busted on me so I bought a new set of EMG actives to put in there, i didn't really have the money to get another bass at the time and figured that was the best thing to upgrade. Anyway, I figure I can swap that set with whatever bass I get...

Thanks for any help! :help:
  2. lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego

You are in the same boat i was in a while back. Im a fender guy because of the style of music i play. So here are your fender options:

Fender Jazz Bass Special - MIJ i saw one the other day on ebay for under 200 i think they have active electronics

Fender P-Bass Special - MIM i think im looking for one of these right now they have a string through body but i cant rember if they have the Jazz neck or a P neck

As far as new basses you could get:

Fender Reggie Hammilton Jazz Bass - Jazz Bass Body with a Regular Pbass Pup and a custom to reggies specs for more punch Jazz pup. It also has and 18 volts electronics and vintage frets so they feel worn in i guess

fender Active P-bass Special - MIM Basically its the same thing as your squire bass but with an active EQ it has the same jazz neck.

fender Frank Bello Jazz Bass - It has a seymour duncan P pup and regular Jazz pup, a badass II bridge, different tuners, Jazz Body/ P-bass Neck, and the only controls on it is volume

hope this helps
  3. Here's an option that isn't a Fender, yet still affordable.

I have a Yamaha with that set up. I added EMG p'ups and a EMG BTC system electronics (2 band EQ)

Works great and the bass itself only cost like $250.
  4. snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    Don't forget about the Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass. P/J setup, MIJ quality, affordable price.
  5. ScoobyGoo

Feb 10, 2006
    Hmmm, does anyone know of any non-fender setups like this, just to get some more options? Will most of these basses have the versatility I want? Thanks for all the help guys!
  6. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    G&L SB-2. I have yet to try one but am looking.
  7. ScoobyGoo

Feb 10, 2006
    Oh yeah, I saw the GL and fell in love but thats way out of price range lol...sigh..one day perhaps
  8. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    My SB2 has never ket me down. It kills my old California P bass ('90s Fender PJ) in every possible way. The best part is I got it for $400 used.:D
  9. TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX

I'm playing Blues, Classic Rock, R&B - adult barroom dance music - and nothing fits the bill like a PJ setup. I think it's more flexible than a regular JBass setup and, if the boss calls "Lowdown", you GOT to have that P sound!
  10. ScoobyGoo

Feb 10, 2006
    Hmm.. the Aerodyne looks awesome but I hate the matching headstock and no fret inlays...

The Reggie Hamilton bass would be perfect..but it's just a bit over my price range, maybe if I look hard enough I could find it used..I doubt it though

Maybe I can get lucky and find a used SB-2, the Tribute line goes pretty cheap..

Ahhhh..so many choices...what to do

Some of those MIM and MIJ basses are cheap too, I figured I would need to spend more to get a solid bass but if I went with the original plan of swapping my EMG PU's and perhaps changing the bridge I should get a pretty good tone out of those, no? :confused:
  11. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Godin do a PJ: the Freeway that's a good bass for the money - I've not played one, but I own its predecessor, the SD, and I like it a lot. Except the SD body shape - I replaced the body with a P-style because it balances better.
  12. centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    I played the Freeway, the tone didnt impress me.

SX has a few PJ basses, with it comes the SX quality.

Ibanez has a lot of their lower end basses with PJ, their highest currently being the SR400, but I'm not sure if they're still making it. If you want this, you should hurry to zzounds and order one, they only have 2 left if I'm not mistaken.

Whenever I check, theres always a Fender Lyte or two on ebay.
  13. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i have an sr400, and it is GREAT for all styles of music.

P/J combo, killer looks, killer tone.
  14. ScoobyGoo

Feb 10, 2006
    I never really liked the sound of Ibanez, something about it never really spoke to me and i never liked the feel of it..

I guess I'll just have to find as many different varieties of fender's PJs until I find one I like...

Should i spring for the MIA's even if I plan on swapping in my EMGs?
  15. ScoobyGoo

Feb 10, 2006
  16. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Wait...you have a bass you like and you need a J pup, right?

I'd have a local guitar shop rout the body for the second pickup. Should cost around $60 bucks or so, plus the pickup (which you can find plenty of on Ebay).

I'd do that. If you like the arrangement, make your second bass a PJ later on.....just my $0.02.
  17. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
  18. ScoobyGoo

Feb 10, 2006
    Does anyone have any idea if Pickups made for Fender PJs by EMG would work with more than the 3 controls that come in Fenders like in the case of that Peavey?

Hah, I have quite a list of basses I need to play with when I go to Guitar Center or something
  19. pmcd

Feb 22, 2006
    I have 2001 U.S. Fender Hot-Rod Precision. They don't make em' anymore. I see them on Ebay every once in a while. I love mine. Just a solid US Fender P-J.

I also really like the Yamaha BB series P-J. I played one of the most recent series(korean?)and dug it a lot!! Don't know what the ones with active electronics sound like...