1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PJB Briefcase or Acoustic Image Combo

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by geojam, Oct 3, 2006.

1. geojam

geojam

Feb 25, 2005
    Seattle area
    What are the opinions out there regarding an amp for small gigs, for both electric and upright bass. I currently have a Mesa Boogie Walkabout - love it for most stuff however it's pretty darn heavy. What I'm looking at is the Acoustic Image Coda and the PJB Briefcase. All things being equal, a two channel unit is attractive however now manditory, I have a BassBones to split the signal - EB/UB. Great tone is manditory.

I play mostly open mics with a singer/songwriter, some small clubs, 80% UB Eminence or Christopher 7/8 Busetto, 20% Fender Jazz Bass. I use Gage PU on the UB's.

2. I have a series III AI Coda and love it for doublebass. However, I think you will need to actually play your electrics through one to make sure it will give you what you need for those. I believe that Hammond Ashley is an AI dealer. They may have one in stock that you could try. The Bass Nothwest store in Pioneer Square is another possibility.

3. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Acoustic Image makes incredible amps ...
    The Coda R i use has never let me down , plays friggen loud to if you need it. And IMO its great for electric to ..
    Try them out !

4. geojam

geojam

Feb 25, 2005
    Seattle area
    It looks clear - the Acoustic Image may win out. Even my bass teacher agrees. There is a $500. difference to I may have to sell the Mesa - (sob).

Thanks!

5. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    well, if you feel like takin' a road trip up north to Vancouver for the day, feel free to stop in here to try out a Briefcase or Suitcase, I work at a store in Langley BC, about 2hrs on a good day( :D ) from downtown Seattle.

just to get some perspective on both items.

6. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think the AI wins out easily in terms of functionality and performance vs weight. The PJ boxes are smaller but they are not all that lightweight.

7. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    NAMM '07 ??

:eyebrow:

8. Geo,
    I might be interested in the walk-about if you sell it.

9. I too may be interested in the walkabout if you are inclined to actually sell it.

10. Hi, I have a PJB briefcase and access to an AI combo (a series II, 2 channel one).

To my ears they sound completely different, so different in fact that you really should try them both if you can.

The Briefcase is very direct and pure sounding, on both slab and upright. Almost 'sweet', not huge amounts of bottom-end, but amazing for 2 5" drivers. The EQ is good too.

The AI in contrast is fuzzier and warmer. Lots more bottom end, less definition everywhere, more like a tube amp.

I have gigged with them both (on upright), and like them both. If I had to buy one for slab and upright gigs... hmmm, I'd buy the AI for the extra headroom or the new PJB Suitcase!

11. I recently bought a PJB Briefcase after hearing one live, and so far, I'm very impressed with it. I also have a GK150 which I've been using for most of my recent gigs, adding a GK112 speaker if I need more volume. I also have an AI Clarus 2 which I use with a Raezer's Edge Bass-10; that combination sounds great, but it is more stuff to cart around. I play mostly double-bass, and have yet to try the PJB with an electric bass.

The PJB certainly wins out for portability and will run on batteries (internal for an hour or more, and external depending on the size of the batteries used). I played an MP3 player through my PJB and was amazed as to how good it sounded - better than the GK150; I've yet to try it with the AI/RE combination.

I think the PJB will be limited to the smaller gigs (duo/trio/quartet), but considering the size and convenience, I'm impressed (so far). BTW the PJB is very well constructed, and is very solid.

- Wil

12. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Form factor is definitely an issue for me but so is weight. The Briefcase is interesting because it looks easy to carry but at 28 lbs it definitely loses out to the AI combos where you get a long more power and functionality for the weight.

Does the Briefcase come with the internal battery? I'm wondering if it does, how much weight can be saved by removing it.

What is this Walkabout people are referring to in this thread? Is that the Mesa Boogie products?

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    FWIW, the Phil Jones Suitcase is a 2-channel amp, and is mucho louder than the Briefcase (though the Suitcase does not have the battery-powered option). The Suitcase and 4B enclosure sound just great on upright, BTW. I recently did a little comparison with the 4B and my Epifani UL-110, and the mids on the 4B were just amazing. The Epi had more low end output, but it was also bloomier.

And yes, Phil Jones has some very interesting products coming out at NAMM. ;) :D

14. brooster

brooster

Sep 7, 2006
    East Tennessee
    Hi Tom,

I talked with you a few days back. Fellow Mouse and Briefcase owner here.

Have you tried running the 4B enclosure with the Briefcase head? If it worked well I might get the 4B, leave it at Church, remove the head from the Briefcase and tote it back and forth.

bruce

15. Can you wait a few months? EA says they're coming out with a tiny, 300 watt, 2 channel head called something like iAMPmicro in January. Track down Mike Dimin and ask for the latest newsletter...

Couple that with an EA Wizzy and man oh man, doubler heaven! :hyper:

Tony

16. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004

I see your EA and raise you a feather weight.... oooPs, Just don't wanna spill the Beans.

:eek:

:eyebrow:

17. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    Or how about using the 4B as an extension cab w/ the Breifcase, giving you a total of 6 of those little cones going. Or the 4B w/ AI or other heads.

Is there an extension output on the Breifcase? BG

18. There is only one speaker out on my Briefcase. Normally it is plugged into the 2 internal speakers via a 2 inch jack to jack.

So to use an external speaker means that the 2 internal speakers are silent. In my opinion this is the main drawback of the briefcase. :meh:

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Inactive

Dec 11, 1999
    From the EA Newsletter:

I'll be posting more info about the micro 300 in the next few days

Mike

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    With the appropriate splitter cable, you can run the internal speakers and and external cab. If you use an extension cab with two speaker inputs, you can also just run a second cable back to the input for the internal drivers. I believe the Briefcase is stable to 2.67 ohm. At any rate, I have run it with an 8 ohm extension cab (and the internal drivers) with no ill effects.

Tom.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021