Plain Simple UK Shipping Question...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZenBass, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Please someone just clear everything up i cannot get a straight answer out of anything company anywhere...

If i wanna buy a bass of and have it shipped to the UK...
    how much does it cost...rougly....

Plain a simple..

Whay shipping company is reliable and well priced
    How much is taxes and handling.
    What other issues do i need to take into consideration

it potential could save me hundred and hundred of pounds..

Just a nice clear simple answer would be grand...

im sure there are lotsa people out there thinkin the same thing..

I Am shipping from American to the UK

so American shipping companies who do international shipping..

ps Mods not sure where this post lies...feel free to move it to appropriate place...
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

VAT is 17.5% - but that's on top of customs duty and maybe another fee if they open the package for inpsection - then they might charge for storage!!

So - it's never simple - there are a few theads around that have discussed this - if you do a search - with concrete examples of how much it has cost for particular items....?
  3. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Basically, there's three fees you pay - the VAT, a customs charge and a surcharge based on the stated value of the item. As a guide, I bought a Conklin GT-5 from the US a little while ago for $450, and paid £78 on delivery to cover it all.

Russ :bassist:
  4. i was planning on buying a warmoth from the US and checked into all the different costs and stuff and talked to people who've had stuff shipped. and it's put me off.

as XO mentioned. there's VAT and and customs charges which come to about 20.5%. that alone was almost enough to put me off. but talking to some people i heard quite a few horror stories. in one case a friend bought a very expensive vintage strat from ebay in the US. customs decided to inspect the contents. whipped out the strat, took it apart loosing several screws and bridge pieces, didn't put it back together, then charged him for it! he's been trying for a while to get comp, but to no avail.
    although not all of them were really bad. not one of them went smoothly. and when asked if they would have stuff shipped from the US again, the pretty much unanimous answear was "hmmm....well....i dunno...probly not".

on the other hand though. i've read a few things on the net from people from the UK who've orderd from the US. and they haven't all been bad. just the people round here have
  5. I have imported around 10 basses from the US over the last few years. During that time I've never had one opened (as far as I can tell) much less dismantled. I guess it just depends who does the inspection and maybe how realistic the valuation appears to be for the item, I don't really know. My experience has been pretty good and I've found the Customs people pretty helpful

Don't forget that you will also be charged Duty/VAT on the shipping costs as well. In fact you even pay VAT on the Customs Duty as they apply this to the amount before levying VAT. The Customs and Excise site is a mine of information for all this and even holds the exchange rates that they are using for the month of import.

I hope it all works out for you.
  6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    All above info is correct to an extent-
    I am a customs broker, and my best advise is to send it fed-ex or ups, they will take care of everything, one stop shop.

pm me if needed...

good luck and don't route it through iraq!

7. Agreed that's what I've done everytime !!
  8. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Do they itemize the bill for you? e.g. Freight cost, VAT cost, Duty cost and so on? Or is it just one line... the bottom line $$$? The reason I ask is that I'd like to audit it and maybe offer another option...
  9. Yes they do itemise the costs for you.
    I'm not sure I still have them so I'll ask the wife.