Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Plans for New AI Head ?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by myrick, Jan 28, 2004.

1. I somehow recall hearing or reading of plans to offer a new, higher power model to the Acoustic Image line, but my searching around TB and elsewhere doesn't turn up anything.

Am I not searching right or just deluded by wishful thinking?

I love my little contra, but would like the advantage of more "headroom" for some situations, and am thus considering EA for next amp.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    My last conversation with Rick at AI was that the 600 watt Focus amp series was to be in prototype early this month, projected for availability sometime in March. They will be the same size as the current Clarus and available in the same four Clarus variations. 600 watts/4 ohms. I'm not at liberty to discuss pricing yet, but they ain't gonna be cheap.

We're about due for another conversation to get updates on new AI products. I'll keep the board posted and will update my site at www.urbbob.com/accimg.html as new items are introduced.

3. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I just e-mailed the company about this and this is the reply I got.

"We now have prototypes of the 600W amp. We are working out a few kinks and
    should have it on the market in 3 to 4 months. Watch our web site for updates."

4. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    I spoke with Rick yesterday, as I often do to get updates- I'm the largest Acoustic Image dealer and like to stay on top of the latest developments.

He expects the first Focus (the name of the 600w heads) amps to be built at the end of March. They will eventually be available in all the same forms as the Clarus, 1, 1R, 2, and 2R.

They'll also be a new head based on the guts of the New Yorker- It will be called the Clarus SL - 250w/4 ohms and 40 ounces!!

5. Thanks bob

I'll be watching this one with interest!

6. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    Any news on the Focus?? I'm seriously considering getting the clarus, but could hold out if the Focus is close to being on the market.

7. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I think they are in production right now and will have product within a couple of months. I know how you feel 'cause I'm holding out replacing my current system till I hear the Focus.

Patience.... :hyper:

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Oh, yeah?
    There are limits....:help:

Bob, as soon as you get any news....please?

9. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Hey Suburban, if you are in the market for a new head, please consider the i amp 500 ..... i just bought one and couldnt be happier, great tone and easy to carry..if you have the chance , give it a try..and ITS SOO LOUD!!!!

10. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    I have a prototype Focus 1R in my temporary possession. It looks exactly the same as the Clarus 1R except for the label on the front. It weighs 4 lbs. 10.5 ounces. And it is damn loud.

and good. Sounds like the Clarus, same character.

Yikes.

300w/8 ohms, 600w/4 ohms. Less than 5 lbs.

I plugged it into my pair of EA VL-208 cabs, played it in the garage. Impressive. I had hoped to gig it on Friday at a pretty loud classic rock gig, but our departing guitarist double-booked the date (for himself as a single). I'll exercise it at a rehearsal next week, and at other times in between.

More to come once AccImg gives the go-ahead, once they do the official release.

11. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Any word on the price?

12. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I emailed AI about a month ago, and heard that they would start "around $1200". Not cheap, but to certain people (myself included) very likely worth it.

13. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I have. It's HUGE compared to the AI... I guess I'll be impatiently waiting for another few...weeks?

Rumour has it they'll release it at summer NAMM - when is that?

14. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Bob,
    600 watts @ 4 ohms?? WOW!! I expected 600 watts @ 2 ohms. Does the Focus go to 2 ohms?

15. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    No, 4 ohm minimum.

16. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    AI made the product announcement public, so I can pass on the info on it as promised. The features on the heads are identical to the Clarus line (click to visit) and the numbers indicate the same changes in features

Model, List Price, Minimum Selling Price
    Focus 1, $1299, $1179
    Focus 1R, $1449, $1309
    Focus 2, $1399, $1269
    Focus 2R, $1549, $1399

(self-indulgent plug: I always sell at the minimum selling price and ship free)

They are the SAME size as the Clarus series, 10x9x2.5 - my Focus 1R prototype weighs 4lbs. 10.5 oz. Doesn't seem possible, but 300w/8 ohms, 600w/4 ohms. As usual, comes with the nice padded case and a Speakon-1/4" cable.

Acoustic Image and I are both in the midst of updating our web pages to add these amps.

17. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Is there a ship date?

18. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Last time we spoke he figured 2-4 weeks or so.

19. Awfully smart of you to post those prices, (All Hail) Bob - you probably saved yourself many, many inquisitive calls and emails...

Hopefully the next time you hear from me it will be for a Full Circle and/or Focus...

20. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Please tell us when it actually does ship!