Plans/Schematics on building bass cabinets.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DennisDavidson, Feb 18, 2022.

1. There are a lot of DIY bass cabinet threads and after looking through them, I have learned a lot of really interesting things about voicings, tones, sealed, ported etc.. about cabinets. I would really like to make some various-size bass cabinets with my son for their woodshop project but would like to see if anyone has plans for a build. Looking at all different sizes from 2x10, 4x10, 2x15, 4x15, 6x10, 1x5/4x10, etc...(any and all variations) Do you have plans that you're willing to share or know where to access plans that would help to get us started?

Thank You!

2. seamonkey and gtirard like this.
  3. You need to decide on the woofers first.

LoveThatBass and DrewD like this.
  4. In the BFM plans, he has specifically recommended drivers for his enclosures.

fuzzer, pie_man_25 and agedhorse like this.
  5. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Like Foz says , the speaker hardware site is a great source , not just for fEarful but several others .

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  6. Thanks! I understand that completely. Ideally the plans would come with woofers specified. If not, then I woudl hope to be able to reach out to the community and ask about it.

7. Awesome!

8. Thanks!

9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Blues Bass 2 and Redbrangus like this.
  10. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    In addition to what's been mentioned, the venerable EV TL606, a 115 enclosure, is well regarded and the plans for it are available at many places on the Web. A site that has those archived is likely to have other plans as well. The Lansing Heritage site, JBL PLANS has scans of the old JBL Enclosure Manuals from the 70's and those have a lot of general advice as well as actual plans. In both cases, the original drivers specified are no longer in production, but the designs can be tweaked for different drivers easily enough.

The Speaker Hardware site also has the Eminence design recommendation info that's available on the Eminence Web site, but is easier to use, IME. In both instances, you need to pick a driver and then link to the design data from the page for that particular driver. I think the Eminence site will give you some basic dimensions, but neither will have actual plans -- it's up to the user to design his own enclosure that meets the specified criteria. In practice, that's not too hard, and there are calculator apps on the Web that will give you some dimensions if you input the required internal volume.

jimkelly likes this.
  11. Discount Bassy

Discount Bassy Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Right Here.
    It is about time someone made a decent 8x15 cabinet.

11-11, ElBarto, fuzzer and 7 others like this.
  12. TomJ4Eden

TomJ4Eden Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2015
    St Paul, MN
  13. TomJ4Eden

Feb 3, 2015
    St Paul, MN
    You could try this one:

World's largest subwoofer?! - Make:

It's not very portable though.

14. Discount Bassy

Discount Bassy Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Right Here.
    The problem is that the cabinet is for his son's woodworking class, not his masonry class.

15. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    No, the driver and the cabinet are decided on together. If you don't have a good idea of the size and tuning range of the cabinet, you won't be able to select a suitable driver.

fuzzer and LoveThatBass like this.
  16. TomJ4Eden

Feb 3, 2015
    St Paul, MN
    Maybe next semester.

agedhorse likes this.
  17. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    I Second the vote for a BFM. Consider that besides it being a well designed box, his designs are typically a bit involved; more than a cube with a couple cut-outs. I've seen a few different finished cabs of his designs and I've seen mitered cuts, possibly dado joints and flush-mounting drivers, inset seams, stuff like that. Seems to me right up a woodworking class' alley.

fuzzer likes this.
  18. The number one rule for having any success is to copy one that does what you want it to.

Hair Farmer, BhamGeo and fuzzer like this.