1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Play guitar solos or not?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by pumpkinking39, Mar 31, 2013.

1. pumpkinking39

pumpkinking39

Sep 14, 2011
    I was wondering how many of you guys do this. Play a guitar solo, in a song on bass or not?

Not sure if right place for this, move if needed.

2. Are talking about doubling with the guitar like you commonly see in Metal? Or are you talking about a bass solo (without guitars)?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The great thing about music is being able to decide stuff like that for yourself. You can either think in little boxes and never venture out of them, or you can step out once in a while. Both approaches have made for some awesome music over the centuries.

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    For me it really depends on the drummer. Some drummers can lay down a beat that You can play a groovy solo to, Others just about make it impossible to solo. IMO of course.

5. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    Like surprising Em and matching on a key phrase here and there

6. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    +1

7. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    What solo? In my Blues Trio if the drums or bass change the beat the whole bottom end falls out. On most songs it's either a repeating pattern, a constant walk up and down or a single note thumping with the drums. The walk patterns are creative by reversing patterns, playing two string octaves or slides.