1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

played a Classic stingray.. my thoughts and your responses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ghostjs, Apr 9, 2010.

1. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    it felt amazing. it looked great. i was playing with the mutes no interfering but still for some reason i think the "E" string sounded dampered out. i also couldnt get a good modern rockin' tone out of it. it sounded either too bright or too mellow with no crunch... however i think it looked great and sounded good for funk. but im playing in a metal band and i prefer a thicker deeper growly tone. my question is.. if its possible to custom order a Stingray to have a Laquer finish or to have a regular stingray with a classic neck...

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Strings make all the difference in the world. Steels on a Ray add alot of crunch.

3. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    ive wondered that but the strings were almost new on the bass. im still curious if they can make me a finished neck tho...

4. was able to be the first one to play a brand new classic they just put on the floor and thought it was amazing,i was used to the 2 band because of my sub, but what really is great about the bass is the neck,i agree those laquered down necks feel really great,not that the waxed necks feel bad as i love the feel of wood,but still the vintage radius felt great and handled great in my hands

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I played one and I've been wanting one ever since. Love the color combos!

6. Look for a late 80's early 90's Stingray used. It is essentially the Classic with the 3 band EQ and contours. Most have killer figured necks. And they sell pretty cheap too. There was just one in the Classifieds here for $850 shipped.

7. I played one last week and thought it was the best Stingray made to date. It had that classic Stingray sound, but the neck was definitely the best part of it for me. The only thing I didn't like was how poorly it was setup, but that's on Guitar Center.

8. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Every MM I play in a store has dead ass strings. They never have any good strings to show the signature growl and bite, I always have to look for the used MMs with the rounds the previous owner had on em LOL

9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I played what I THOUGHT was a Classic 'Ray in G.C. a couple times this past week. But I'm not sure if it was (a Classic) or not. It was black with a black p/g, but the fingerboard looked like ebony. It was much darker than all the rosewood boards on the other 'Rays.

Do they make the Classic in black? Do they offer ebony boards? The salesman said it was ebony, but he (as well as I) could be wrong. But it did have the 2-band EQ; and it sounded amazing. I loved it. The price on the tag was $1,575.00. But all the tag said was "MusicMan Stingray". Didn't say anything about "Classic".

I'm pretty much a Fender guy, but I really liked this one. I played several of the 3-band 'Rays, but couldn't get as good of a sound as that 2-band black one. Whatever model it was, it sure was sweet. The only thing I didn't like was when I'd rest my thumb on the pickup. I'm so used to P's and J's that I feel more comfortable (and generally like the tone better) playing closer to the neck than the bridge.

10. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    hmm sounds all good but still... is it possible to get one custom ordered to have classic stingray neck specs with 2 humbuckers and 3 band eq?!

11. stoolpigeon

stoolpigeon

Dec 17, 2009
    Greenville SC
    Never met a Ray I didn't like

12. Greg75

Greg75

Nov 20, 2009
    Santa Monica
    Mine sounds fantastic. Love the finished & flamed neck. No problem getting a deeper crunch/growl--using steels is one way to go but I don't (TIs for me) and have no problem. Just make sure you have a good rig. Also, besides playing with the preamp, try moving closer to the neck. Tons of different sounds can be found by shifting right-hand position. Finally, there are still differences between the new Deluxe/finished-neck classics and most older or newer two-band 'rays--thin frets, 7.5'' radius, width at the nut (I think), which I prefer. All Stingrays are great, but these are the best for me.

13. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Nope.

14. Shy Guy

Shy Guy

Sep 23, 2008
    Templeton, MA
    ^^^^^^^^^
    This. I find that the Ray's EQ is more to compensate for playing environment or for putting the bass's slap afterburners on. Also I heard on the classic's turning both the high's and bass all the way down boosts mids.

15. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    ive played it like that and it sounded at tad too clacky and the mutes (i think atleast the E) was in the way. i was hoping for a more modern sound.. but i really dig the looks! if only it was possible to order a stingray 3-eq with a custom neck!!

16. maybe i'm tone deaf when it comes to rays, but i couldn't tell the difference between the tone of a classic ray and a normal 3 band ray. both sound ddddddaaaaaaaaammmmmnnnn good though..

17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    To me the 2 bander seems tamer but warmer. The 3 band seems more in front but less fat.

Now that I own both Classic and regular SRs I prefer the oiled and waxed neck. It is faster to me.

Show off time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    They are pretty dang similar, and I doubt you could ever tell the difference in a mix. I like the three band myself.

19. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The first Classic that showed up here in Seattle, I was eager to run over to try out, already had dead strings just a couple days after it was unpacked.
    I just don't get along very well with Slinkys.

20. mgauge

mgauge

Dec 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No kidding, I have the same experience.. DEAD AS STRINGS!!!! Especially at GC.