1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Played a Sub 5 String today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KsToaDangr, Feb 16, 2008.

1. KsToaDangr

KsToaDangr Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    I was in one of the local music stores today, and they had a black EB Sub 5 string sitting there with a price tag of $649.99. I had to plug it in and try it out, and I think I have found what my next bass will be. Anyone think that price is a little off?

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

That seems a bit high for an out of production bass. I would say $500 is reasonable if it's new. If it's been a display model, then $649 is definitely a bit high. If they through in a hard MM case I could see going to $575 maybe.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If it is new old stock in a small store, they may be determined to get their money out of it, so you may not be able to bargain down to the normal ideal price.

4. I'd say that's a good deal.

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    THey are only worth 400-500 in the used market mint right now.

650 new isn't too off IF they include a hardshell (since markup is high on accessories).

6. KsToaDangr

KsToaDangr Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    I forgot to add that they were going to throw in a hardshell case with a lock, a black leather strap, and a new set of GHS Bass Boomers(in addition to the stock strings that are already on it). I didn't get a chance to ask any of the staff very many questions, and I don't really trust most of the staff's knowledge-it took 4 clerks before one of them knew what a Speakon cable is.

7. sjb64

sjb64

Aug 2, 2007
    List price on that bass was something like $1,200 and when they were in production they were selling for a set price of around $700 (with no case). The Sub 5's are very well made and great sounding, but stripped down versions of the regular Musicman 5's. They were made in USA. They stopped production because they weren't profitable enough, rather than raise the price. With all of the extras they're throwing in, it's a very good deal at $650. I paid $600 for my fretless one with no accessories last year.