Playing and listening preferences difference.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Anglerfish, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Yes, mostly the same.

9.1%
  2. No, sometimes there can be a huge difference.

90.9%
  1. Anglerfish

Anglerfish

Dec 1, 2015
    Moscow
    I was just sitting and wondering. There are things we love to do but find boring to watch others doing (like eating something tasty). And there are things that most of us would prefer to watch instead of doing it themselves (like boxing). May this apply to bass playing too?

People start learning their instrument being inspired by some sort of music. Therefore they tend to play what they like to listen. But may it happen that while getting advanced and learning more about techniques and styles they would figure out that their favorite music is no fun to play and that the most fun for them is to play something that they would never let in their playlist? What is your situation?

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I prefer to play the bluesy side of jazz and the jazzy side of blues---

But I usually can be found listening to Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, etc. I also listen to a lot of Miles Davis and John Coltrane. Sometimes I might even throw on the Ramones.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I'll play all sorts of crap I would never listen to, or have never heard before, if the money is right.

4. Colinos5

Colinos5

Jan 12, 2013
    Netherlands
    I really like to listen to Paramore in the summer, but I never play it. The sound requires a pick, and that's just not my thing. I also occasionally listen to Sharon Kovacs or some jazzy music. I don't like playing jazz though. Sharon Kovacs just has too little challenge in the bass department.

Sometimes I hate a song, but when I have to play it I suddenly like it. I still won't listen to it myself. It may even still be an awful song. A certain bass riff just agrees with me.

5. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    I tend to play what I listen to. Which is probably why I'm not very advanced or technical. I like classic rock, blues, soul/r&b, traditional country/folk, old punk/alt, and I like to play it. Not really the most complex stuff.

6. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Feets don't fail me now!

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    I really like playing Motown and r&b but I listen to mostly jazz and hip hop.

7. I learned 40 years ago that accepting gigs playing music that I had no previous interest in was a really good thing, as long as most of the people in the band were already better at it than me. Thankfully, that's pretty much always been the case. My music-performance life has been a constant string of such occurrences, and I learned that I can enjoy playing almost anything, and that I'm a better musician and happier person for it.

These days, I mostly listen to Classic-Rock from the 60s/70s/80s and some Classic Country in the car, though my tastes are a little more eclectic at home.

For the past decade and a half, when I have an electric bass in my hands, I'm usually playing classic jazz standards and a little Motown and Disco, because that's what the man calling the tunes is calling. I do not want to be in charge of the set list when I'm playing bass. I'm a contented sideman. :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    Leo Smith likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021