Playing dilemma

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Sep 14, 2005.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Im in hs jazz ensemble (small jazz band .. about 5 or 6 ppl), and theyre all really good musicians and love that old time jazz feel, so they want me to play on double bass.
    I dont play double bass. My intonation isnt so hot, my fingers def arent there yet, and my technique is far from proper. I want to learn, but we have two shows comnig up, and playing for a single period gives me giant balloons on my fingers. Clearly i cant play a whole show. what do you guys think about playing electric for the time being, while working on double bass? Should i suck it up and wear layers of band aids or betray their utopian unrationalized notions of greatness and play electric?
    I sort of have my mind made up, but im curious what most bass players would do in this situation.
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'd bring my fretless and try to get close to the sound they want until I could do the real deal.
  3. i was in your situation about a year ago. Let your band know ya need to get used to the upright, im sure they will understand. Next time u have practice with them use the upright its the only way you can get comfy with it. A just a little worning its goin to hert your wrist but like i said ya just go to keep playin and before you know it you can hop between electric and upright with out a prob. Also ask if you could use markers (im guessing not your upright) if your intonation aint great then just sit down with a piano and tape and find the "frets". Hope this helped.
  4. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I wish I had a fretless.... no i dont, i dont like the sound so much.

and thanks, thats pretty much what im going to do (minus the fret-finding thing with a tape. i have a piano player who will do just fine : ) )
  5. Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Personally I would practice until I'd get my stuff straight; get a few lessons with a DB player to get your posture and technique right, then get to it.