1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing drums and bass by one person.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Ziba, Dec 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ziba

Ziba

Dec 20, 2017
    Hello.
    About 130 years ago wasn't drum set.
    So drums was played by 2 guys.
    Technically,drum set invention allowed playing rhythmic needs by one man.
    My question is.
    If today,technique will allow making bass and drums parts by one man,does it will add some positive influence?
    I ask this,because I made this drumBass set.
    But I am not bass player.
    So,it is interesting to listen bass players feedback.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Check out Kenwood Dennard's "Meta-Rhythmic Orchestra" ...not bass+drums per se, but keyboards+drums, including some basslines played on the keys. Basically a one man band.

Will it add some positive influence? I'm sure it positively influenced Kenwood's development as a musician, but obviously it didn't influence a whole lot of other musicians to follow suit.

3. SteveBassJr

SteveBassJr It all sounds the same, It's all one song! Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Check out Knee body.
    The drummer also plays the bass at the same time when he does his solo thing.
    His name is Nate wood

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

There's an extremely popular band in my area called Sirsy, who are a guitar/drum duo. The bass duties are sometimes played by the guitarist, using foot pedals, and sometimes handled by the drummer, using this Roland synth gizmo she has on her drum set. While their music has plenty of merit on its own, I think the novelty of this approach only adds to their appeal. Music starts about 4:45 in the following video:

abracadunphy likes this.
  5. I believe the answer depends on a few things:

1. Accuracy of possible drum lines. (Do I have to do Tom fills with my foot?)
    2. Accuracy of bass lines. (Can I use both hands to play bass?)
    3. Will the drum parts suffer when playing simultaneous bass? (Can I play time with kick, snare and hat?)
    4. Will the bass parts suffer when playing simultaneous drums? (Do I have to switch to playing bass with my nose?)

There probably is a market for such a device, albeit a small one, if it is accurate.

6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I also remember seeing ProjeKct Six in concert back in 2006 -- Robert Fripp on guitar, and Adrian Belew on V-drums -- and one of the more memorable pieces involved Belew playing a bass line using the V-drums' MIDI capability (plus an auxiliary Roland Octapad iirc) to trigger pitches on a synthesizer, while grooving with the rest of the drumkit.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021