1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

playing outside

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kitcar765, Apr 30, 2006.

1. when the weather becomes nicer, and the sun shows its face, i want to play with my band outside, probably in the middle of no where, with no plug sockets, i still want to use amps and the P.A and suchlike, but how do i go around powering evrything? can i get a converter and run my amp from my car? or will i have to buy a generator?

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Oh you'll need a generator for sure.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Ummm, no way on the car battery. Hit up Home Depot for a generator and some really long extension cords so you can place it far enough away so it doesn't drown out the band. :D

-Mike

4. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    Well, except that using really long extension cords is a bad idea too.... um...... get a quiet generator?
    Actually, there's a ton of newer genny's out there that will more than run a small show, and don't have to make a lot of noise. Hiding it behind a vehicle or the back of the stage can be enough with a half decent one.

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
  6. very nice, love the bus. anyone know of quite generators in england? and where to buy them?

7. I hope you realize that generators aren't necessarily cheap or easy to transport...

8. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Play in a garage - you can play with the door open or closed. It's not very mobile, but what the hay!

9. honda generators are pretty quiet.

10. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hi, I was just reading through this and everyone is recommending a generator but no one has really mentioned what size you would need to power everything? Do you just go based on what the heads pull to determine it? Those of you who work with generators what size is typical for a band? This is an interesting idea.

Thanks,
    David.

11. For generator hire, you could go to Agreko.
    Do all sizes of generators but they are more industrial strength though.

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    When we contract a generator (we spec flightline gennies), we ask for 3 20-amp circuits. Should be enough for most any band.

13. thanks for all the info, i will have to try some out to see what they are like volume wise